Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Urban Superchargers (Mostly Great, Slightly Bad)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are 72kW which seems to be more, than the SR can even take. Assuming the SR pack has 60kWh usable, which it probably hasn't, and given the 120 miles in 30 minutes recharge, the average charging power is 65 kW. Assuming it has 50 kWh, it would be around 55 kW.

Now the LR will definitely charge slower at urban chargers and the SR might charge at a higher power initially, if they have a bad taper. But if the charging curve is similar to the S and X, a SR will see no difference between charging at the urban or the regular supercharger

The difference in charge time to ~90% between ALL cars would be <20 minutes.

They're not intended for road tripping. They're intended for people who live in large cities. That's the whole point. Your solution is to charge at the superchargers located along highways, as you always have done, if you don't want to pay to park downtown. But if you're paying to park downtown anyway while on a trip, now you can charge at the same time.
There are plenty of places to put superchargers in urban cities that are FREE to park (depending on the city). If that's the case, I would hope Tesla would CHOOSE to place them in free areas to park (e.g. Shopping areas)

There are plenty of places to put superchargers in urban cities that are FREE to park (depending on the city). If that's the case, I would hope Tesla would CHOOSE to place them in free areas to park (e.g. Shopping areas)

Most/Many parking areas in urban centers are not free to park.

But it would be nice if Tesla put them in places where the first 30 minutes/hour is free. Or a place that validates parking. Etc.

May have missed it here but it was noted in Kman’s YouTube post that the Chicago Urban SuC’s are in a parking garage where many people have permanent spots for local apartments. So they are essentially shared home chargers for them. They don’t cost extra for them to use. Just one example.

I have read speculation that leaving the car plugged in causes less wear and tear on that other battery (the 12 volt) which runs the electronics of the car. Since the Tesla (especially the older ones) has a fairly high vampire draw even when it is asleep, the 12v gets a pretty steady workout. If not plugged in, I believe there are more frequent and deeper discharges of the 12v which can shorten it's life. In 4 1/2 years of ownership, I have replaced two 12v batteries, one under warranty, one out. Not a big deal but if I can prolong the 12v life by leaving it plugged in as much as possible I will.

• Informative
Reactions: ElecFan and DR61
If you put 5-10 superchargers in a single city, 99.999% of parking spots in the city can be with fees and the 5-10 spots could still be free. You only need a few free spots.
no, the free spots will be commandeered by people charging and not moving upon completion of the charge or more likely in the absence of laws preventing ICING the free spots will be ICED.

Reactions: anonim1979
I have now used both of the Boston Urban super chargers. I think they mostly largely got it right.

One is directly downtown in the Prudential Center - a very busy lot - with expensive minimum parking - discounted if you buy something. I was not happy about the parking fee - but it was my only option at the time. I assume the parking fees will discourage unnecessary usage. It is also set up in a way that it is very clearly for Tesla super charging so I don't think spots will be blocked.

They just opened a second SC just south of the city. This one is in another shopping center in a multi-level parking garage. Garage entry is free and the SCs are on the sixth floor at the very top of the garage. Highly unlikely that the spots will ever be blocked. This charging location appeared in my car a few weeks ago but does not yet appear on the Tesla.com supercharger map.

I assume the second scenario is what they are shooting for in general, but in dense downtown areas there likely have to be compromises.