Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Bank auto inspection prior to lease maturity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it funny that our Complimentary Auto inspection (provided by US Bank) prior to returning our Model X in a few weeks was performed, but the Inspector had no idea how to work the Tesla.
He had to ask me how to work the gull wing doors, where to find the odometer, and he was looking for the 'spare tire' and 'engine' to take photos of these (I stepped away and saw him trying to search everywhere for this lol).
Not suprisingly, he later said that he has never inspected a Tesla X before.

I find it funny that our Complimentary Auto inspection (provided by US Bank) prior to returning our Model X in a few weeks was performed, but the Inspector had no idea how to work the Tesla.
He had to ask me how to work the gull wing doors, where to find the odometer, and he was looking for the 'spare tire' and 'engine' to take photos of these (I stepped away and saw him trying to search everywhere for this lol).
Not suprisingly, he later said that he has never inspected a Tesla X before.

Why is this funny? X's are just starting to come off leases now. You should have taken the time to educate him rather than just being amused at someone's ignorance. Remember once upon a time none of use knew anything about Tesla's.

I did educate him and was with him for most of the time. He was nice and did a good job but I would have expected someone who is doing an inspection would have been trained on electric vehicles. You are right, ‘funny’ is not the appropriate word, but interesting would be more appropriate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johan
this is why i'm glad they moved leases in house to Tesla Lease Trust. US Bank just uses third party inspectors who inspect various leased autos all day long. they are coming to inspect our S in a few days. not looking forward to it. in another thread somewhere, an owner said they ding you $125-150 for curb rash longer than 3.5". i've never been dinged by other leases direct through manufacturer's leasing company for things like curb rash. it's no worse than a door ding and should be considered normal wear and tear!

Reactions: Ormond
I returned my MS on early lease termination directly to Tesla when I picked up my new MX. All I had to do was schedule the appt with AutoVin (who does the inspections for USBANK) and tell them it was at Tesla Delivery Center in Fremont, and let Tesla know the scheduled inspection date. Easy peasy, Tesla handles the rest. I guess they know how to guide the inspector if he's never seen and MS before :)

I returned my MS on early lease termination directly to Tesla when I picked up my new MX. All I had to do was schedule the appt with AutoVin (who does the inspections for USBANK) and tell them it was at Tesla Delivery Center in Fremont, and let Tesla know the scheduled inspection date. Easy peasy, Tesla handles the rest. I guess they know how to guide the inspector if he's never seen and MS before :)
Did you get charged for any damage?

had my inspection friday, and just looked my inspection report online today. the inspector did not need any help with the car and finished the job in about 20-25 min.

the report noted the 3 wheels with some curb rash, but all are considered normal wear and tear, totaling $36.00 ($0 for 2 wheels and $36 for 1 wheel) of normal wear and tear. i have one door ding on the driver door which he either didn't bother taking a picture of or was not obvious enough? it's pretty obvious to me though, being right below where i reach for the door handle and on the body "crease".

excess wear and tear noted is $0.00

so i'm happy with that and hope the turn in on 10/1 will be smooth sailing. we will miss our red rocket though. :(