Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US-Spec Tesla in Sicily

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm not sure where else I can find the information I'm seeking, so I thought I'd try this forum.
I'm a Gov. Contractor getting ready to move to Sicily from the US for work and plan to take my US-Spec Model Y. My question is, are these vehicles allowed to be registered on the island? I will have the same privileges as a US military personnel.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I'm not sure where else I can find the information I'm seeking, so I thought I'd try this forum.
I'm a Gov. Contractor getting ready to move to Sicily from the US for work and plan to take my US-Spec Model Y. My question is, are these vehicles allowed to be registered on the island? I will have the same privileges as a US military personnel.

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't rely on this forum to be able to come with an answer to this but instead send a question to Tesla and check. Also, make sure you are receiving a reply in writing before shipping the car over so you won't end up with a non-euro model here and having to ship it back.. As there are differences in between the US and Euro variants, it might be less of an head-ache to actually sell your MY in US and purchase another Tesla in Europe.

In 2018 a TESLA rep told me NOT to ship my car to Europe as it could not be charged there (due to charging & connectivity issues); the rep then suggested I sell my US spec car and just buy a Euro-spec car. Upon arrival in Europe I found there were several US spec Teslas in the area and they were all charging with zero issues! Had I known this in 2018 I would have shipped my my car to Europe! Seems TESLA just wanted to sell more cars, rather than admit their US spec cars could be used in Europe! (I am still in Europe and still looking for a US spec Model 3!)

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Tesla will be useless on help with this. I have had my US spec 3 in Germany for almost 3 years now. You lose Nav, LTE. You have to use an adapter for supercharging. If the Gov is shipping it for you, and you have the same benefits as the military (register in the US system,) you shouldn't have an issue.

In 2018 a TESLA rep told me NOT to ship my car to Europe as it could not be charged there (due to charging & connectivity issues); the rep then suggested I sell my US spec car and just buy a Euro-spec car. Upon arrival in Europe I found there were several US spec Teslas in the area and they were all charging with zero issues! Had I known this in 2018 I would have shipped my my car to Europe! Seems TESLA just wanted to sell more cars, rather than admit their US spec cars could be used in Europe! (I am still in Europe and still looking for a US spec Model 3!)
I was the first US Spec in my area, I was basically a guinea pig for it all. Found the supercharger adapters and life has been grand since then.

Where are you located? I may be upgrading in the next few months.

I was the first US Spec in my area, I was basically a guinea pig for it all. Found the supercharger adapters and life has been grand since then.

Where are you located? I may be upgrading in the next few months.
Looking to move to Italy soon, with the intention to bring both Teslas there (S and X). I would appreciate if I can learn from your experience. Would that be possible? Many thanks in advance!

Looking to move to Italy soon, with the intention to bring both Teslas there (S and X). I would appreciate if I can learn from your experience. Would that be possible? Many thanks in advance!
Hi Omega and everyone, coming back here to update and share my experience since my initial question to hopefully provide some information for future military members and expats wanting to bring their US-Spec Tesla in Europe.

Shipping - It was a nightmare solely due to the shipping company, not the process of shipping a Tesla. So everyone's experience could be different. TransGlobal Auto Logistics (TGAL) aka IAL (for International something - I forget), has been the worst experience I have ever dealt with from any company. Long story short, I paid TransGlobal to ship my vehicle from California to Sicily, Italy. It took them FOUR months to get me my car that typically takes 75 days, they didn't charge the battery before loading it on the ship and turning it off prior to departure, the battery was dead during the duration of transport, they locked my key inside the vehicle once it arrived in Germany and were not able to load it on a truck for delivery, it sat at the shipyard for one month out on the open before they notified me that they locked themselves out of my vehicle, I couldn't unlock the door from the app because they drained the battery and no LTE or WiFi, they damaged my vehicle, failed to deliver my car at the final destination, and I flew to Germany to drive my Y to Sicily to just be done with them.
I chose TGAL because it's who the US military uses to ship vehicles internationally and their office was on base. I figured they have the process down to a science - biggest mistake. The only difference was, my shipment was considered Commercial since I'm a civilian and not military. I will never use them EVER again, nor would I even consider recommending them to anyone. I heard Schumacher was good and will look into them when I go back to the states.

Charging - Prior to moving to Sicily, I bought Tesla's home charger (US version) and had that installed at our new home in Sicily. I also bought every adapter available on the market to charge my Y. I bought Tesla's Chademo adapter, Tesla's Italy wall plug adapter and Blue adapter for the mobile charger, and Type-2 to J1772 adapter from EVChargeKing. And when I saw the EU/US SC adapter was available, I bought that too, just in time for my drive from Germany to Sicily. I'm also waiting for Tesla's CCS1 adapter to be released, as that will provide another option to supercharge inside and outside Tesla's infrastructure. But from my understanding, the supercharger adapters may not work for the S and X. For my Y, I haven't had any issues. Also, prior to moving here, I looked up EV chargers in Sicily, mainland Italy, and Europe in general, and they have a vast amount of EV charger locations besides Tesla. So that was encouraging and made the decision to ship my vehicle much easier.
Before picking up my vehicle in Bremerhaven, Germany, I ordered the EU/US SC adapter (not CCS1) on eBay and had it shipped to my hotel in Germany. The first day I finally got my car, I was still waiting for the SC adapter to arrive in the mail, the Chademo adapter came in handy to fast-charge my car from 0%. It still took a while, but much faster than the mobile charger or the Type-2. The following day, my SC adapter arrived and I now had access to Tesla's SC network all over Europe, particularly my drive from Germany to Sicily. Let me tell you, having access to Tesla's supercharger is night-and-day in comparison to all the other EV charging networks out there. I haven't used them all, but Tesla got it right and made it so easy, convenient, FAST, and accessible. Not only are there plenty of Tesla SCs in Europe, but they're way faster, made my trip much shorter, and removed the stress of where to charge. It was all I used and needed from then on and I even had the option to skip some chargers before having to recharge. The SCs are also conveniently located at places where you can stretch your legs, grab some coffee, use the restroom, and in one instance, I stayed at a hotel at one of Tesla's SC locations. I only wished their CCS1 adapter was available as that would've made my trip much more pleasant. I cannot wait to take my family on a trip all over Europe with the Y.

Navigation - US Spec Tesla navigation will not work in Europe. I reached out to one of the members here about that and they informed me the modem will have to be swapped for an EU in order for it to work, and it wasn't cheap, especially if it's a temporary stay in EU.
I use my phone for navigation and haven't had any issues. A slight inconvenience to not be able to use the car's navigation, but there are alternatives.
Another option I'll probably go with, depending on the length of my stay here in Italy, is the Hannshow Center Console Screen. It sells for $519 on Amazon and installation seems straightforward. It has Android Auto and Apple Carplay. This may not be applicable to your S and X, but thought I'd share it here for future military members and expats heading to Europe.
In regards to Tesla's SC locations, it'll show on your screen if you have wifi, but nothing happens when you try to select it. What I used for my trip was the PlugShare App. It provides all the Tesla SC locations, other types of chargers outside of Tesla, and provides reviews for the charging stations. Great app and would definitely recommend in EU.

US-Spec Teslas and Service Centers in Europe - There's a lot of misinformation regarding this subject (even Tesla employees) being that there's not a lot of US-Spec Teslas being brought in EU, but I can attest from personal experience that Tesla Service Centers in Europe can and will work on your car. Some will just be out-of-pocket.
Before flying to Germany, I made an appointment on the Tesla app to the closest Tesla service center in Ottersberg to perform a diagnostic test on the high and low voltage batteries for any damages sustained after being depleted and uncharged for four months. I called to make an appointment in advance and the person on the other line informed me that his manager said they cannot touch my vehicle being that it's a US-Spec and canceled my appointment. I insisted that they CAN work on my vehicle and to talk to a different manager because that information was not accurate.
After picking up my vehicle in Bremerhaven, Germany, I called the same Tesla service center again and explained my whole situation and why I wanted to have a diagnostic test performed. The same person finally told me to just come in and we'll worry about it afterwards. Once I arrived at the service center, I spoke with the technician performing the work and he simply told me that they can work on US-Spec Teslas and have worked on them in the past, but it'll just be out of pocket. I then asked him how long do the batteries have to be depleted and uncharged for damages to incur and he told me "six months." After the test was performed, thank God there were no damages sustained both on the high and low voltage batteries. The cost to perform the diagnostic test was 70 something Euros, which I gladly paid for my peace of mind.
Fast forward on my trip through Northern Italy, I started noticing a strong vibration when I reached 70-80+mph. I looked up Tesla service centers along my route and made an appointment within the next couple of hours in Bologna, Italy. Once I got there, they took my car in, inspected the vehicle, performed weight and balance on all four, and the vibration improved but didn't completely go away. The technician informed me that if the vibration doesn't go away, the tires may have formed a flat spot from sitting in one place for a long period of time without being moved and can be the cause of the vibration while driving. That service was about three hours and they did not charge me anything.
Also, something to consider depending on where you'll be in Europe and if this matters to you or not, but there aren't a lot of Tesla service centers in Italy compared to the US. I'm in Sicily and the closest service center is Rome, which is 8-10 hours away. Just something to put out there.

Software Updates - I'm still on software version 2021.4.13 and trying to figure this one out. If anyone has any tips on this, please feel free to share.
I bought a Vodafone wifi hotspot, but I haven't been able to install the recent software update. There was a recent release and my car showed the notification, I downloaded the update, but it did not install. I called Tesla multiple times and they told me the software shows it was installed on my vehicle, but I told them my screen still shows 4.13. I also tried using my phone's wifi hotspot with VPN in the states, still nothing. I tried the soft reboot, turn the vehicle off, but no success. The only thing I haven't done is the hard reset by disconnecting the 12V battery. The other option suggested by Tesla is to take it to a service center. My Y drives fine, so it's not a safety concern, but would still like the update. I've read from other US-Spec Tesla owners that they were able to install software updates as long as they had wifi. I'm not sure if Tesla changed this.

Overall, do I regret bringing my US-Spec Model Y here in Italy? The answer is no, but I regret using that particular shipping company. I'm happy with my decision with bringing my Y and I would do it again. From my personal experience when the topic of shipping a US Tesla in Europe is brought up, most people frown upon the idea or advise against it, but they're usually the ones that are not qualified to provide input in the matter e.g. non-Tesla or EV owners and/or non-expats or military members who's lived overseas and never experienced driving a different spec car in a different country. Another question commonly asked is "why?" The question should be "why not?"
For those considering shipping their US Tesla to Europe, with all the adapters, Tesla SC locations, accessories for these vehicles, and Tesla becoming mainstream, I feel it's never been easier to do so.

I'm located in Sicily. What about you?
I'm in Germany, near where you likely picked up your dead car. That office and IAL in general is a clown show, my car arrived dead as well, they let me charge for a few hours just to get it to a friend's house to charge. So I will give them that.

I'm going to see if I can dig up this PDF for you, should be able to sign, scan in and send to Tesla to continue to get updates. Although I'm like 4 updates behind at this point so I don't know what's going on. We have a group on fb (although I deleted fb, best thing I've done in a long time) where we have tips and tricks and the like for being out here. There is now a CCS2 adapter that works likely from the same people you bought yours from. Shoot me a message if you want to know more.

I'm in Germany, near where you likely picked up your dead car. That office and IAL in general is a clown show, my car arrived dead as well, they let me charge for a few hours just to get it to a friend's house to charge. So I will give them that.

I'm going to see if I can dig up this PDF for you, should be able to sign, scan in and send to Tesla to continue to get updates. Although I'm like 4 updates behind at this point so I don't know what's going on. We have a group on fb (although I deleted fb, best thing I've done in a long time) where we have tips and tricks and the like for being out here. There is now a CCS2 adapter that works likely from the same people you bought yours from. Shoot me a message if you want to know more.
Thanks. Sending you a PM.

Hi Omega and everyone, coming back here to update and share my experience since my initial question to hopefully provide some information for future military members and expats wanting to bring their US-Spec Tesla in Europe.

Shipping - It was a nightmare solely due to the shipping company, not the process of shipping a Tesla. So everyone's experience could be different. TransGlobal Auto Logistics (TGAL) aka IAL (for International something - I forget), has been the worst experience I have ever dealt with from any company. Long story short, I paid TransGlobal to ship my vehicle from California to Sicily, Italy. It took them FOUR months to get me my car that typically takes 75 days, they didn't charge the battery before loading it on the ship and turning it off prior to departure, the battery was dead during the duration of transport, they locked my key inside the vehicle once it arrived in Germany and were not able to load it on a truck for delivery, it sat at the shipyard for one month out on the open before they notified me that they locked themselves out of my vehicle, I couldn't unlock the door from the app because they drained the battery and no LTE or WiFi, they damaged my vehicle, failed to deliver my car at the final destination, and I flew to Germany to drive my Y to Sicily to just be done with them.
I chose TGAL because it's who the US military uses to ship vehicles internationally and their office was on base. I figured they have the process down to a science - biggest mistake. The only difference was, my shipment was considered Commercial since I'm a civilian and not military. I will never use them EVER again, nor would I even consider recommending them to anyone. I heard Schumacher was good and will look into them when I go back to the states.

Charging - Prior to moving to Sicily, I bought Tesla's home charger (US version) and had that installed at our new home in Sicily. I also bought every adapter available on the market to charge my Y. I bought Tesla's Chademo adapter, Tesla's Italy wall plug adapter and Blue adapter for the mobile charger, and Type-2 to J1772 adapter from EVChargeKing. And when I saw the EU/US SC adapter was available, I bought that too, just in time for my drive from Germany to Sicily. I'm also waiting for Tesla's CCS1 adapter to be released, as that will provide another option to supercharge inside and outside Tesla's infrastructure. But from my understanding, the supercharger adapters may not work for the S and X. For my Y, I haven't had any issues. Also, prior to moving here, I looked up EV chargers in Sicily, mainland Italy, and Europe in general, and they have a vast amount of EV charger locations besides Tesla. So that was encouraging and made the decision to ship my vehicle much easier.
Before picking up my vehicle in Bremerhaven, Germany, I ordered the EU/US SC adapter (not CCS1) on eBay and had it shipped to my hotel in Germany. The first day I finally got my car, I was still waiting for the SC adapter to arrive in the mail, the Chademo adapter came in handy to fast-charge my car from 0%. It still took a while, but much faster than the mobile charger or the Type-2. The following day, my SC adapter arrived and I now had access to Tesla's SC network all over Europe, particularly my drive from Germany to Sicily. Let me tell you, having access to Tesla's supercharger is night-and-day in comparison to all the other EV charging networks out there. I haven't used them all, but Tesla got it right and made it so easy, convenient, FAST, and accessible. Not only are there plenty of Tesla SCs in Europe, but they're way faster, made my trip much shorter, and removed the stress of where to charge. It was all I used and needed from then on and I even had the option to skip some chargers before having to recharge. The SCs are also conveniently located at places where you can stretch your legs, grab some coffee, use the restroom, and in one instance, I stayed at a hotel at one of Tesla's SC locations. I only wished their CCS1 adapter was available as that would've made my trip much more pleasant. I cannot wait to take my family on a trip all over Europe with the Y.

Navigation - US Spec Tesla navigation will not work in Europe. I reached out to one of the members here about that and they informed me the modem will have to be swapped for an EU in order for it to work, and it wasn't cheap, especially if it's a temporary stay in EU.
I use my phone for navigation and haven't had any issues. A slight inconvenience to not be able to use the car's navigation, but there are alternatives.
Another option I'll probably go with, depending on the length of my stay here in Italy, is the Hannshow Center Console Screen. It sells for $519 on Amazon and installation seems straightforward. It has Android Auto and Apple Carplay. This may not be applicable to your S and X, but thought I'd share it here for future military members and expats heading to Europe.
In regards to Tesla's SC locations, it'll show on your screen if you have wifi, but nothing happens when you try to select it. What I used for my trip was the PlugShare App. It provides all the Tesla SC locations, other types of chargers outside of Tesla, and provides reviews for the charging stations. Great app and would definitely recommend in EU.

US-Spec Teslas and Service Centers in Europe - There's a lot of misinformation regarding this subject (even Tesla employees) being that there's not a lot of US-Spec Teslas being brought in EU, but I can attest from personal experience that Tesla Service Centers in Europe can and will work on your car. Some will just be out-of-pocket.
Before flying to Germany, I made an appointment on the Tesla app to the closest Tesla service center in Ottersberg to perform a diagnostic test on the high and low voltage batteries for any damages sustained after being depleted and uncharged for four months. I called to make an appointment in advance and the person on the other line informed me that his manager said they cannot touch my vehicle being that it's a US-Spec and canceled my appointment. I insisted that they CAN work on my vehicle and to talk to a different manager because that information was not accurate.
After picking up my vehicle in Bremerhaven, Germany, I called the same Tesla service center again and explained my whole situation and why I wanted to have a diagnostic test performed. The same person finally told me to just come in and we'll worry about it afterwards. Once I arrived at the service center, I spoke with the technician performing the work and he simply told me that they can work on US-Spec Teslas and have worked on them in the past, but it'll just be out of pocket. I then asked him how long do the batteries have to be depleted and uncharged for damages to incur and he told me "six months." After the test was performed, thank God there were no damages sustained both on the high and low voltage batteries. The cost to perform the diagnostic test was 70 something Euros, which I gladly paid for my peace of mind.
Fast forward on my trip through Northern Italy, I started noticing a strong vibration when I reached 70-80+mph. I looked up Tesla service centers along my route and made an appointment within the next couple of hours in Bologna, Italy. Once I got there, they took my car in, inspected the vehicle, performed weight and balance on all four, and the vibration improved but didn't completely go away. The technician informed me that if the vibration doesn't go away, the tires may have formed a flat spot from sitting in one place for a long period of time without being moved and can be the cause of the vibration while driving. That service was about three hours and they did not charge me anything.
Also, something to consider depending on where you'll be in Europe and if this matters to you or not, but there aren't a lot of Tesla service centers in Italy compared to the US. I'm in Sicily and the closest service center is Rome, which is 8-10 hours away. Just something to put out there.

Software Updates - I'm still on software version 2021.4.13 and trying to figure this one out. If anyone has any tips on this, please feel free to share.
I bought a Vodafone wifi hotspot, but I haven't been able to install the recent software update. There was a recent release and my car showed the notification, I downloaded the update, but it did not install. I called Tesla multiple times and they told me the software shows it was installed on my vehicle, but I told them my screen still shows 4.13. I also tried using my phone's wifi hotspot with VPN in the states, still nothing. I tried the soft reboot, turn the vehicle off, but no success. The only thing I haven't done is the hard reset by disconnecting the 12V battery. The other option suggested by Tesla is to take it to a service center. My Y drives fine, so it's not a safety concern, but would still like the update. I've read from other US-Spec Tesla owners that they were able to install software updates as long as they had wifi. I'm not sure if Tesla changed this.

Overall, do I regret bringing my US-Spec Model Y here in Italy? The answer is no, but I regret using that particular shipping company. I'm happy with my decision with bringing my Y and I would do it again. From my personal experience when the topic of shipping a US Tesla in Europe is brought up, most people frown upon the idea or advise against it, but they're usually the ones that are not qualified to provide input in the matter e.g. non-Tesla or EV owners and/or non-expats or military members who's lived overseas and never experienced driving a different spec car in a different country. Another question commonly asked is "why?" The question should be "why not?"
For those considering shipping their US Tesla to Europe, with all the adapters, Tesla SC locations, accessories for these vehicles, and Tesla becoming mainstream, I feel it's never been easier to do so.

Thank you so much for the detailed experience, I'm glad all worked out for you. I'm not in the military so for me it will be quite different. First of all Im now required to produce a CoC (certificate of conformity) for our used Teslas. The one I got in US from epa has zero info for EU, and Italy is asking for one. No idea how to get one and from where.

New member here and I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a M3LR. I will be moving move to Italy with my soon after and plan on taking the car with me. Any chance I can get all those fun links to adapters/accessories and such? Thanks!

What a terrible experience, so sorry and glad you have been able to move past it.

Would appreciate the links to the adapters too.

What a terrible experience, so sorry and glad you have been able to move past it.

Would appreciate the links to the adapters too. I have brought a US spec MY to Spain from California and are hesitant about buying $500 SC adapters that may not work or break and have no return policy

Would appreciate the links to the adapters too.

Would appreciate the links to the adapters too. I have brought a US spec MY to Spain from California and are hesitant about buying $500 SC adapters that may not work or break and have no return policy
Please PM if you want a SC adapter for a much cheaper price. I used mine for a week only and it works fine. I no longer need it because my car has a EU port now. Will be traveling to Spain next month.

Thank you so much for the detailed experience, I'm glad all worked out for you. I'm not in the military so for me it will be quite different. First of all Im now required to produce a CoC (certificate of conformity) for our used Teslas. The one I got in US from epa has zero info for EU, and Italy is asking for one. No idea how to get one and from where.
Use this link to get one:

@fodded_cockpit thank you for sharing
I wish I can figure it out how to send DM you because I have lots of questions. I should PCS to Germany soon. Willing to bring my model Y with me.

I wanted to highlight again that if you plan to make changes to the car like changing to an EU port, Tesla will NOT service your car regarding issues with charging. In my case a phase was blown on a onboard charger, and they refuse to replace that. For other things like general issues, brakes, suspension they will work on those, however all will be out of pocket. Just fyi...

Thank you Omega !

What was the cost , if you don't mind me asking, for the conversion to your car? And how do you like it there? Do they sell different plugs to eliminate the need for changing the port and void the tesla support later, do you know.
I absolutely love the car and the battery holds pretty good after all this years and hate to get rid of it and look for another in EU that i dont know its history

Thank you

DD

Thank you Omega !

What was the cost , if you don't mind me asking, for the conversion to your car? And how do you like it there? Do they sell different plugs to eliminate the need for changing the port and void the tesla support later, do you know.
I absolutely love the car and the battery holds pretty good after all this years and hate to get rid of it and look for another in EU that i dont know its history

Thank you

DD
You are welcome. It was about 4500 euro (maps lte lights: blinkers and fog, and charge port incl ccs support). As an interesting fact after the conversion the bottom front light are no longer location lights and will only turn on on reverse. I know it sounds crazy but this is EU, Tesla checked another S for EU, same thing.
I still love my car and those 750+ hp, however it showed its age. Had to change brakes some suspension parts, wheel bearings and oil the motors and reseal. Now is noiseless again and drives like new. Hard to say if I’d go through the same madness all over again, although the knowledge and contacts I gained are priceless. Part of me still thinks it would have been better to sell it and buy a new Y or a 3. Not a S but still a new car, although w/o free SC. You will need to replace the charging port for EU.
Lastly don’t underestimate the fact that after the conversion Tesla won’t service the parts related to that. Not critical but a pain, depending where in EU you will land.
Couldn’t find this info before coming here so I promised myself to give back to the community.
Cheers!