Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"USB" Command no longer Works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use my USB drive to play my music in my car. When I get into my car after it has been sitting overnight, I get the command to "choose media source." I used to be be able to say "USB" and the player would go to where it had left off before. This command stopped working about a month ago without any new software update. Anyone else having that problem?

I never saw the USB icon when using the voice command. I'll try saying "Switch to USB" and see if that works---maybe tomorrow (Saturday) the 18th) Hopefully that will work..
Used the voice command "Switch to USB" this Saturday morning, and it worked like a charm. Thanks for that tip..

Better if Tesla would fix the situation, so that no voice command would be necessary, but I ain't holding my breath!

I think it's been 4-5 years since USB played automatically when getting back into the car. Not sure why they won't fix this. Worked great from 2012 to around 2017. USB still works if you have Sentry mode on, but if off (like at home), USB will not resume automatically.

I can't believe it has been that long since the USB resumed automatically but you're probably right.
Yes, it has been that long in my experience too. I think the problem is actually worse now, because it seems to take a lot longer for the cars (S and 3) to detect the USB, and sometimes the S doesn't detect it at all (I have to remove and reinsert it). I think perhaps the media USB problems started when dashcam USB support was added.

I've started using Apple Music in part because of the USB issues, but that's pretty quirky at this point. Hopefully Tesla will give more attention to the Apple Music app than they have to USB playback.

Interesting that both "USB" and "Select USB" now return something like "Cannot Connect to that Service", vs Command not understood.

Yes, it has been that long in my experience too. I think the problem is actually worse now, because it seems to take a lot longer for the cars (S and 3) to detect the USB, and sometimes the S doesn't detect it at all (I have to remove and reinsert it). I think perhaps the media USB problems started when dashcam USB support was added.

I've started using Apple Music in part because of the USB issues, but that's pretty quirky at this point. Hopefully Tesla will give more attention to the Apple Music app than they have to USB playback.
Using Apple Music or some other third party app defeats the whole purpose of using one's USB where you can play only the tracks you want.