Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Drive Placement - Glovebox or Center Console?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding the placement of a USB drive in my 2023 Model Y. Currently, I have a Samsung T7 1TB drive connected to the USB port in the glovebox. However, I noticed that the glovebox doesn't have a USB-C port, which surprised me.

Occasionally, I receive a message asking me to reconnect the drive, even though I'm using a USB to USB-C cable. Now I'm wondering if it would be better to move the drive to the USB-C port in the center console.

I'd love to hear your experiences and opinions on this matter. Have any of you encountered similar issues? What are your thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

It isnt going to work in the center console because There is no data connection available for USB in the center console for a 2023 Model Y.

Here is an existing, 700+ post discussion on this topic. The thread title say "2022 but its applicable to every model Y that was made after about November of 2021 so is applicable to 2023 as well:

So, the glove compartment is your only choice, unless you go and add a USB data module to the console.

It isnt going to work in the center console because There is no data connection available for USB in the center console for a 2023 Model Y.

Here is an existing, 700+ post discussion on this topic. The thread title say "2022 but its applicable to every model Y that was made after about November of 2021 so is applicable to 2023 as well:

So, the glove compartment is your only choice, unless you go and add a USB data module to the console.
thank you

You used to be able to get a retrofit kit to add data to the center console usb ports. It may be still possible but even if you do, I recommend keeping the sentry usb device in the glove box and require a PIN to open the glove box to make it more difficult for thieves to remove the sentry device.

Occasionally, I receive a message asking me to reconnect the drive, even though I'm using a USB to USB-C cable. Now I'm wondering if it would be better to move the drive to the USB-C port in the center console.

I originally used a Samsung T5 and occasionally got these messages. After a year and a half their frequency increased so I switched to a Samsung Pro Endurance micro sd card with a Samsung adapter/reader and have had zero error messages since.

The SSDs inside the T5 and T7 are very fast but don't have as good environmental specs as the slower Pro Endurance mini sd cards which were designed for this kind of constant writing. The interior of my car can get well over 140F. IMO the higher temperatures caused my T5 to wear out much sooner than I expected.

I also keep at least one spare usb device in my glove box. If there is an event I want to be sure to keep then I can turn off recording, safely unplug the current device, and plug in the spare. It will also be handy if I start getting errors on my current device but it's been error free so far.