Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used a Supercharger for the first time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this under the Model S sub-forum and realized it was more appropriate for this one.

I have owned my Telsa Model S 70 since Dec 2015 and until today have only charged it in my garage. My wife and I live just outside of the orlando area and planned a short day trip to Tarpon Springs, FL., which is less than 1/2 hour north of Tampa. The round trip is 280 miles, so I figured 300 miles total. I fully charged my 70kw battery for the first time and was suprised to see it charge to 242 miles of range! I expected a max of 237 and was gladly wrong. Any extra miles I could get would easily be used up since our temps are in the low to mid 90's and humid. After arriving in Tarpon, I realized how comfortable I was in the next gen seats. It's only a 2 1/2 hour drive, but it felt the same as when I commute to my office in downtown Orlando (30 min). I also didn't have any complaints about our Navigation system, although I have read all the posts on TMC regarding its shortcomings. I gladly did not experience any of them. I noticed I still had 100 miles of range left which was plenty to drive to the Brandon, FL Supercharger 40 miles away. We had 55 miles of range left when I plugged in. I checked my Tesla app 15 minutes later, and I already had 130 miles of range which was plenty for the return drive to Orlando (100 miles). I also factor in a cushion of 20%, so I was comfortable with 120 miles range. I know the SC is capable of 300 miles charge per hour, so it didn't surprise me. I actually wanted more time to roam around the shops, get some ice cream and then hit the road. When I pulled in to charge, I was the only one. When we returned to leave, there was a Silver Model S and a White Model X. A quick wave and a smile to both of them and wondered if either was a member of this forum. A great overall experience with the drive and and supercharging. As I tell my wife almost daily for the past 6 months, I love this car!

I wondered if anyone had any surprises on their first Tesla road trip?

Happy 4th of July!

Gary

Traveled to Ormond Beach from Palm Beach over the holiday. This was first time going this route. The farthest I've gone before was Disney and used the SC at Fort Drum without much drama. It's much closer than the Port Orange charger so I was a little concerned about making it. It was roughly 180miles. Had a frunk and trunk full of BIG fireworks, some luggage, a passenger, and planned to cruise at 80mph. Got a few warnings along the trip to stay under 80mph to make it but ended arriving with 27 miles to go (left with a 100% charge). Nobody at the chargers upon arrival. Grabbed some 5 guys and did shopping with the better half at Homegoods. Got back to a 100% charge in 1.25hrs. Didn't need a 100% charge but we were there so what the heck.

We charged for free at Lulu's (restaurant) while eating dinner. Charger didn't work upon arrival but I complained the manager and he confirmed it was working but it wasn't. I told him to check the breaker and within a few mins it was charging at 18mph. Didn't need the charge but whenever we can get some free go go juice I take it.

After a couple days in Ormond Beach we stopped back at the Port Orange SC in order to make the trip back. They were 3-4 other cars charging while there. Did some more shopping at Homegoods. Got a few charger interrupted push notifications. Not sure what happened. Had to walk all the way back (it's a hike) and check on the car. I ended up moving to new pair and had no other issues. Still annoying. Made me realize how reliant we are on these facilities. If they don't work, you are really in a jam!

Anyway, charged back to 100% and went a little faster on the return trip (80-85mph) and made it home with 16 miles left. We unloaded the fireworks but gained back a 14yr old so the moving weight was about the same.

Model S 85

Funny you say that... My 90% charge was initially around 242 (upon delivery) then as we approached 11k miles it slowly dropped down to about 237. We don't drive very much and we plugged the car in whenever it was home (like the manual says). I decided to start running the battery down more to see if this changed anything and as we approached 13k miles it went back to 242. Over the past month it dropped down to 240 and then after this trip our 90% is up to 243. Can't say for sure if there is any correlation but it sure is coincidental.

However, I am fully aware of the charging recommendations from Tesla and all the "experts" on this forum. Our car has probably been to 100% about 6-8 times over it's almost 14k mile life. I am not discounting your recommendation, just sharing what my experiences have been thus far.

Final thought... I couldn't make it home without a 100% charge so it wasn't like I had a choice. I wasn't going to do a side trip to Port St Lucie to add another 30mins to the trip and an extra 12 miles of driving (I-95 is a longer route vs cutting over to the Turnpike).

My opinion is that if charging to 100% is so detrimental to the battery then they wouldn't allow you to charge to 100% ever. I think an occasional charge to 100% is no problem and seems to actually help the battery by giving it a full cycle. This is based on my increased 90% charge mileage after doing so. YMMV

Jason

Last edited:
My opinion is that if charging to 100% is so detrimental to the battery then they wouldn't allow you to charge to 100% ever. I think an occasional charge to 100% is no problem and seems to actually help the battery by giving it a full cycle. This is based on my increased 90% charge mileage after doing so. YMMV

Jason
You don't have increased range, you are just seeing a more accurate estimate of range. The displayed mileage is an estimate based on an estimate of battery state of charge. It didn't actually help the battery-- your car is now just estimating its state of charge a little more accurately for a while.

"your car is now just estimating its state of charge a little more accurately for a while."

So does that mean that after awhile it will estimate my state of charge less accurately? It would seem that it either estimates it accurately at all times or something is broken. Right?

If the estimated range at a given % changes there has to be a direct cause. In my case, I attribute the cause to doing two nearly full battery cycles whereas I normally charge back to 90% when it's around 150 miles to "empty".

But it's not a "given %". The battery can't determine percent charge directly, it's an estimate, which is why the reported range is an estimate. That estimate becomes less reliable over time if the battery hasn't been fully charged in a while. You didn't change your range at a given % of charge, rather the % of charge is being estimated more accurately and that changes the reported range. In other words, you're not treating the battery, you're treating yourself.

Lots of threads here about this if you want to search.

After my 300 mi round trip and charging twice to 100%, I reset back to 90% and it still charges to the same 218 estimated miles of range which is the same as before my first road trip. Charging to 100% didn't affect the estimated range at 90% like it did with Racerx.

You may want to do a search for threats that talk about stressing the battery with too many 100% charges. In a nutshell, charging to 100% on a regular basis will shorten the battery packs life and degrade capability over time from what I understand.
I think you have it wrong. charging to 100% isn't that big of a concern, charging to 100% and leaving the car sit at that level is what can hurt the battery pack.

You may want to do a search for threats that talk about stressing the battery with too many 100% charges. In a nutshell, charging to 100% on a regular basis will shorten the battery packs life and degrade capability over time from what I understand.
I think you have it wrong. charging to 100% isn't that big of a concern, charging to 100% and leaving the car sit at that level is what can hurt the battery pack.
Hi Marc,

I agree that charging to 100% and leaving it there for long durations is worse than just charging to 100% periodically. For that reason whenever I do a full range charge I always leave immediately as soon as the battery reachs a full charge.

However, it is a fact that frequent charging to 100% will accelarate the deterioration of the battery and it is for that reason that your Tesla will warn you when you charge above a certain percentage.

Beyond simply aging there are multiple factors that contribute to battery deterioration, elevated voltages, elevated temperatures, deep charges (versus frequent topping off), .

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries

Larry