Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used car buying experiance from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what your buying experience has been like when buying a used car from Tesla ?

I have recently gone through it and must say its not a great experience!

To start with, I ordered a used Model X off the Tesla website. Paid the deposit, completed my account steps, and secured the funding. Only to get a call 2 days later saying that there was a glitch and that the car had been sold to someone else and that this had never happened before, blah blah. But then 3 days after that, I got a call from them saying that the glitch was a glitch and that in fact, I could purchase the car, but I had to order it again. So I did that, although that took two days as they had issues reserving it for me and it completely vanished from there system for a day.

Finally, I had a reservation for my Model X again and was told it would take one to 2 weeks to be able to pick it up. 1 month later I was finally told I could pick it up (after many phone calls to them with them saying they will get back to me and them never doing so). They also made my appointment at a different Tesla centre than the one I requested to get the car from. But I made my way to them anyway.

When I finally see it there is a fair couple of extra knocks that were not shown in the photos and it was very dirty on the inside. But I thought I could address that with a good valet. This is where the fun really starts. Before driving away I decide to check if it had an MOT on it. It did not! When I first questioned them they said not to worry an MOT for an EV is simple and that I can get it done myself. So I said I’m not driving it anywhere without one. They said they would get it done ASAP and gave me a model 3 loan car.

The next day they called me and said the MOT has been done and it's ready to pick up. I decided to look at the MOT history to see any advisories and there were two for suspension play and one for tyres close to the legal limit. So it did make me wonder if any 200 point check had been performed by them at all. Especially as they claim that the tyres have a minimum of 4mm thread!

They replaced the tyre and said I need to book it in again to get the wishbones replaced.

I decided to take the car hoping that this was just a big chain of unfortunate events and that it should be plain sailing from now, on the drive home I noticed slight vibrations coming from the steering wheel and rattling from the tailgate. I decided to look round the car in more detail. This is when I discovered that the HEPA filter was still the original one and was filthy but more importantly that the coolant level was well below the minimum mark! This showed to me that clearly no inspection whatso ever had been performed on the car and it had put me very un at ease with how they treat there customers.

Also in the glove box, there was the trade in sheet from the previous owner with his name, address, phone number, signature, etc...

Not good!

I attempted to purchase 3 used cars and due to various reasons they were all cancelled on me so I gave up purchasing the cars, its experiences like this that will ruin it for the brand in the long run.

It likely won't even get any better now they have your money they can just fob you off even more, I'd be considering a third party inspection and then get them to fix everything within a set timeframe or a refund.