Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook Tyres - ion evo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I recently purchased 4X Hankook ion evo tyres from Black Circles for my Model 3 LR. When they were delivered they are badged up as "Ventus ion S". Does anyone know if these are the same tyre or likely incorrectly picked at the warehouse. I'm waiting for them to get back to me but wondered if anyone here has any knowledge of this.. Also date code is 0223 which seems quite old for a brand new tyre to me. Haven't had them fitted yet...

Many thanks for any info

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-13 at 19.13.52_d763d4c8.jpg

IMG_3294.JPG

I have the 19s and emailed them about ION availability, I think their response probably applies to your situation -

Hankook tyre are already an OE supplier for the Tesla Model 3, in tyre size 235/40R19 XL 96W.

This tyre has sound absorber material applied to lessen the noise, and although when purchasing the label would say that the tyre is a Ventus S1 Evo 3, on the sidewall of the tyre it states iON Evo.

This tyre was the precursor for iON Evo ev tyre development, and Tesla agreed with having iON Evo as the sidewall name.

For this reason, Hankook do not produce this tyre size in the iON Evo pattern.
In other words maybe yours are what you ordered and just have a different label. Worth double checking with Black Circles though.

Reactions: Tezla041
I had similar with my 19" Nova wheels. Couldn't buy a like for like iON and was told iON and Ventus are basically the same thing - shared here: 2024 M3 19" Tyres.

The crux of it is - if it is the same size, load index, speed index, and spec (T0, XL, SA etc.) then it shouldn't really matter. Unless, like me, you want all four of your tyre sidewalls to match 😳

Hate to dig up old stuff but this whole thing did make me chuckle. Hankook are really trying to fry our brains 😄

Just for clarity if you go to order replacement tyres (on the 19inch NOVA 2024 Model 3) you will be receiving a rebranded sidewall name of the old Ventus S3 as per the Hankook statement. However, there IS such a thing as a true newly developed ION Evo tyre in 18 and 20 in for the Model 3's. I have two sets of wheels and have a set of each kind on 19 and 20s. Here is a pic with 20 inch ION evos next to the old TO Ventus S3 in 19s side by side. Not even remotely the same tread pattern or EU label. The new ION has all the new tech (see here and note the same tread pattern)
. Only the 19 inch guys miss out with a new wall name but old tyre. Bit naughty from Hankook to rebrand something it is not but hey ho. Explains why you cant find them anywhere in 19s! To make matters even more confusing Hankook use the word "Ventus" on the 18 inch version despite it being identical to the 20 inch version which has no mention of it anywhere online or on sidewall. Think they need to sack whoever's in the marketing department 🤣

Attachments

• Photo 09-03-2024, 11 39 56.jpg
    Photo 09-03-2024, 11 39 56.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Informative
Reactions: Foxsbiscuits