Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used inventory MoT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I collected a used inventory Model S today.
First issue was some bad bodywork they hadn’t fixed in the 3 weeks since placing the order and collection, telling me to book a service appointment to get it done. The other unexpected surprise the car only has 6 months of MoT left. I’d noticed this before but just presumed it would be renewed. The last bit was the pretty unclean state of the interior…. It’s in dire need of a good valet!
I’d have expected Tesla to put a new MoT on the car in carrying out their ‘checks’? They also didn’t tax it, so good job I checked before driving off!
Is it normal for them not to renew the MoT for a full 12 months?

I don't think second hand cars can be 'taxed' anymore, the previous owner needs to register that it's sold and would get a refund on the previous tax. New owner becomes responsible from the point it's handed over. Obviously all seems rather confusing when the tax is 0.

I don't believe Tesla themselves can do MOTs, not bothered to register for it.

It’s out of courtesy, especially since it’s free to purchase the Road fund license, that whoever you’re buying from will do this for you. I even did this for a private buyer when I sold my first EV.

Yes there are a lot of reviews that buying a used inventory car will arrive unvalet and not gone through a PDI check.

I don't think second hand cars can be 'taxed' anymore, the previous owner needs to register that it's sold and would get a refund on the previous tax. New owner becomes responsible from the point it's handed over. Obviously all seems rather confusing when the tax is 0.
Right, tax now lapses (and is automatically refunded) when the car is transferred. AIUI you always need to tax it yourself when buying a s/h car.

EDIT: In fact, that's the easiest way to verify that Tesla (or whoever) have reported your trade-in to DVLA, without having to wait for the letter. Check the tax status after a day or two - if it shows up as untaxed, you know that the DVLA has processed the change of registered keeper, even if the letter from the DVLA hasn't arrived in the post yet.

Last edited:
You don't state how old the car is or the extent of warranty. Have a good look at headlights and screens on an S. Running lights fading is common and paying for a replacement out of warranty is expensive. Screens had a bad history in the past with a few bubbling. It should have been valeted at the very least, heck they did mine after a recent non-warranty repair job. I’d be writing to complain about that alone.

Sounds like you’ve bought a used car from Tesla, in which case you’ve a years general warranty, but no harm in checking the lights etc and sticking it through an MOT yourself is the cheapest way to get a lot of checks done for you. As others have said, Tesla aren’t MOT stations. I can’t remember buying a car older than 3 years old to know if that’s customary or not, I think dealers talk about a minimum amount of mot left so maybe 6 months is usual.

The state of the car is however disgusting. They have a checklist, or at least a set of criteria, things like how big stone chips can be. You could try and assess the car and get anything you feel missed done, done. I’d be disappointed too.

As for road tax, I thought dealers were under an obligation to ensure you taxed the car before leaving but a quick google seems they’re not. I have to say I thought Tesla did when I bought a CPO car, I can’t remember if I checked. Gulp.. was I driving around with an untaxed car for 10 months?

It’s out of courtesy, especially since it’s free to purchase the Road fund license, that whoever you’re buying from will do this for you. I even did this for a private buyer when I sold my first EV.

Yes there are a lot of reviews that buying a used inventory car will arrive unvalet and not gone through a PDI check.
Rules changed, VED is now legally non-transferable, you have to go on the website and tax it before you drive away using the code from the green slip.

Rules changed, VED is now legally non-transferable, you have to go on the website and tax it before you drive away using the code from the green slip.
With the exception of new car sales, I think, where it's still normal for the dealer to tax it for you at the time of initial registration. EDIT: That's not really an exception to the non-transferability of VED - the dealer registers the car in your name as first keeper and taxes it on your behalf. But it is an exception to the rule of having to tax it yourself before driving away.

It’s booked in on Tuesday to sort out all the body work issues, and there wasn’t any argument of them being done. Just don’t get why it takes Tesla three weeks from order to collection when they don’t seem to do a thing to really prep the car!
Now they have to loan me a courtesy car for probably quite a while given there’s four different panels all needing work. They could have done this before collection.
Re tax, yes it’s free, but if I hadn’t checked the guy at the collection centre just told me I was fine to drive away, when I was not!
And I’ve dropped a mail on the MoT to ask the official policy.