Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S 70D Experience (March 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to post this in case it helps anyone who is considering going the used route.

TL;DR: My experience was mostly great, but not completely without issues. If you're in the market for a used Model S, I say go for it!

02 Feb: First contact with Used Vehicle Advisor. I had started looking around on Tesla's website a few days before, and requested pictures for a few different cars. We chatted back and forth over the next couple of days. He was pretty responsive; always answered questions and sent photos within a few hours of being asked. No issues at all.

17 Feb: Woke up to find God's perfect angel waiting on me. I had my eye on this particular car for a few days (using ev-cpo.com). and was surprised to see the price had fallen so low. I figured I should go for it because it probably wouldn't last much longer. Talked it over with the wife and pulled the trigger. Notified my VA that I placed the order per his instructions, but he didn't respond until a few days later (told me he was on vacation). Not a huge deal, but I feel like they should probably set up an out of office message or something so people don't feel like they've been ghosted.

21 Feb: Contacted by the delivery team (via e-mail) to confirm trade-in details, and pick up location. Was told they would follow up once my my car is en route to the service center. Easy enough. The rep was polite and at no point did I feel like I didn't know what was going on.

Sidebar: I didn't learn of the issues out there with the CPO program until after I placed my order. I admit that I was taken aback reading some of the horror stories, and that caused me to temper my expectations a bit. I've been wanting a Tesla for YEARS, so I figured the best way to avoid a bad experience is to be prepared. With that in mind, I came up with a checklist that I would run before taking delivery. I cobbled it together from things I just thought would be good to do and forum posts.

27 Feb: Contacted the delivery team to check the status. My concern was that the trade-in offer I received would expire if too much time elapsed (I read that somewhere...don't recall where). Anyway, I was happy to find out that not only would my trade-in offer not expire, but my car was ready for delivery. Sweet.

02 Mar: arrived at service center. They took us to the waiting area and told us to hang out while they process the trade-in. I peeked out into the lot in the back and there she was! It took about an hour before they brought us out to see the car, which I didn't mind. I spent that time looking at the Model X and wishing I could afford one. Maybe one day.

Once they brought us out to see the car, I was surprised to see that it was in such great condition! The paint looked great, and the inside looked good as well. Driver seat looked a little worn and the seat belt had a lot of lint on it (no idea why), but that's it. They washed the car, but they definitely didn't detail it. Doesn't seem like the interior was attended to as well as the exterior, but I planned to get it detailed anyway so it wasn't a huge a deal.

Anyway, I went over the paperwork with the rep, and he gave me a brief overview of the car. I was surprisingly more familiar with the vehicle than I thought due to countless hours of Youtube videos and reading forums posts. After about 45 minutes, I was off to the races.

Issues:

-First issue I had was a low tire warning while driving home from the service center. Minor inconvenience, though I feel like this should've been caught during the 70 point (or whatever it is) inspection. I put some air in the tire, and the warning hasn't come back.

-Second issue (and I hesitate to call it that) is while going over my car the next morning I realized that there are a few dead bugs in the taillights (they look like mosquitoes). No idea how they got in there, but this is another one of those things that I would think the people looking over the car should've noticed. I plan on bringing this to the attention of the service center.

-Third and final issue that I noticed is a light scrape on the front bumper. You almost have to get on your hands and knees to see it, but now that I know it's there I can't unsee it. I went back and looked at the photos the VA sent me and sure enough it was there. Plan on taking this up with the service center as well.

I'll update this post once my service issues are sorted out. In the meantime, if you have any questions feel free to ask away!

• Informative
Reactions: Denila and IdaX
Sounds like an overal positive expericen, (which is a dime on this forum). Curious about your experience on the following questions.

• Would you say that the photos painted a total picture of the car you received, or it was in better condition?
  • Which state did you have it transported from? or did you buy locally?
  • Did you follow up with your DA about those issues? Seems minor compared to say a 12v battery issue, but still needs to be recognized.
  • How far before delivery was taken, did you receive the breakdown of prices and the final costs.
  • Did you pay in cash, or have your own finance all sorted and was there any delays with that?
  • Had any delays in having car registered or receiving title and/or haveing issues withe the Tesla app functionability.
Glad to hear it went well and would love to see pics.
We personally, are waiting for a 2016.5 to drop. Rumous have it that they will drop this weekend.

I have check this one out - 5YJSA1E29GF153560 - This is the ideal style of the car, just above pricepoint. I found pictures here too
cleardot.gif

Sounds like an overal positive expericen, (which is a dime on this forum). Curious about your experience on the following questions.

• Would you say that the photos painted a total picture of the car you received, or it was in better condition?
  • Which state did you have it transported from? or did you buy locally?
  • Did you follow up with your DA about those issues? Seems minor compared to say a 12v battery issue, but still needs to be recognized.
  • How far before delivery was taken, did you receive the breakdown of prices and the final costs.
  • Did you pay in cash, or have your own finance all sorted and was there any delays with that?
  • Had any delays in having car registered or receiving title and/or haveing issues withe the Tesla app functionability.
Glad to hear it went well and would love to see pics.
We personally, are waiting for a 2016.5 to drop. Rumous have it that they will drop this weekend.

I have check this one out - 5YJSA1E29GF153560 - This is the ideal style of the car, just above pricepoint. I found pictures here too
cleardot.gif

First, your questions:

1) I'd say the car looked better in person than it did in the pictures. Perhaps that's just the excitement of a new Tesla talking, and it's also possible they didn't wash the car until after the photos were taken.

2) It was transported from Massachusetts to NJ, which the rep told me he could do without charging a delivery fee. I live in MD, and was dead set on NOT paying the delivery fee. Jersey isn't that far from me (about a 2.5 hour drive), and it so happens that's where my in-laws live so me and the wife turned it into a trip (and an excuse to show off the new car!). HOWEVER, I do think requesting the car be moved caused a delay. Looking back through my e-mails, it seems like transporting the car to NJ took them at least a week.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but in retrospect I would've gladly gone to Massachusetts if it meant getting the car sooner.

3) Not yet, but I plan to today. My understanding is once you drive it off the lot, they're just going to refer you to your local service center anyway, so I figured I may as well go straight to them. If anyone knows different, please correct me. For the bumper scrape at least, I have photo evidence that it was there before took possession so I don't anticipate any issues.

In all honesty my primary concern has been getting tags for it, which I can't yet do because I don't have the title. I'm waiting on a response from Tesla about that now.

4) I got a breakdown of the final cost about two days out.

5) I went through my credit union. They cut a check for me to take to Tesla, so the process was just sign and drive. No delays or issues with financing whatsoever.

6) I've only had the car about two weeks, so no delays with registration or titling....yet. That said, I have heard people run into issues with this, so like I said up-thread I already reached out to Tesla to get a status. Also, no issues with the Tesla app. I was able to login to the app shortly after arriving at the service center, and I've been using it since without issue.

Pics are coming! I wanted to get it cleaned first and I haven't yet had the time.

And the car you're looking at is beautiful! How do you feel about the 21" rims though? I could've gotten those, but I punked out because there's a lot of potholes in my area. I didn't want to deal with the increased risk of cracking them.

I'll update this post once my service issues are sorted out. In the meantime, if you have any questions feel free to ask away!

Great to hear that it seems they've improved their used process somewhat! I'm still waiting for something that matches my requirements at a price I'm willing to pay.

cleardot.gif

What rumors are these? I'm looking for a 2016.5 car.

In regards to your tags, doesn't the title go to your Credit Union since there's a lien on the vehicle?

I have no idea. This is my first time purchasing a vehicle out of state, so I’m not entirely sure what the process is. I called the DMV (MVA where I live), and they told me the dealer should send the title. I took that info to Tesla, and they said they would get back to me, so that’s where I’m at now.

If someone lives in MD but purchased the car elsewhere, feel free to correct the above.

I live in MD and bought 3rd party in VA. I refinanced soon after the purchase and needed the title. Called DMV about a month after I bought it and they still didn’t have the title transferred into my name. Actually, it was a MD owner before and their database still had that listed.

Anyway, the refinance broker was adamant that they needed the title and then one day it just showed that my loan was transferred out of the first bank and into the other. I don’t know if the title actually got processed and I haven’t seen the copy (or whatever MD sends you) or they just transferred it anyway.

I live in MD and bought 3rd party in VA. I refinanced soon after the purchase and needed the title. Called DMV about a month after I bought it and they still didn’t have the title transferred into my name. Actually, it was a MD owner before and their database still had that listed.

Anyway, the refinance broker was adamant that they needed the title and then one day it just showed that my loan was transferred out of the first bank and into the other. I don’t know if the title actually got processed and I haven’t seen the copy (or whatever MD sends you) or they just transferred it anyway.

So you never got a title to the vehicle? If not, how were you able to get tags?

I just bought the car about 6 weeks ago. The dealer processed the tags and sent them to me so I’m not sure about the title.

Ah, ok. I checked the MVA website and it says you can (and should I guess) apply for a title for vehicles purchased out of state. I thought that was the way to go, but when I called MVA to verify they said the dealer should send me the title. Now I'm all confused.

I'm sure it'll get worked out though, so I won't stress it.

What did you think of your trade value? Was it worth not selling your old car yourself

You indicated that they processed your trade before you had a chance to look at the cpo car, what would happen if you rejected the cpo car ????

What did you think of your trade value? Was it worth not selling your old car yourself

You indicated that they processed your trade before you had a chance to look at the cpo car, what would happen if you rejected the cpo car ????

1) I thought the trade in value was reasonable though it was slightly below the KBB value. I probably could’ve gotten a few hundred more had I decided to sell it on my own, but I didn’t want to deal with the hassle so for me it was worth it. Also, trading it in lowered the sales tax hit on the new car, so it’s a wash really.

2) Good question! By “processed” the trade in I mean they basically inspected it. We didn’t sign anything until I confirmed that I was ready to take delivery of the MS.

I guess if I rejected delivery, we would’ve been driving the trade in back home...

I placed my Deposit for a 2015 S85D CPO in the early morning hours Thursday 3/21. Got a call from a sales advisor on Monday and apologized for not getting to me sooner, he had been out ill. He said he was going to contact Delivery and prepare the MVPA.

Late afternoon Tuesday 3/26 I got a call from the SA and as I was answering if, it dropped off. Tried calling the SA back but gave up after 20 tries. Could not leave voice mail as the mailbox was full. Followed up with an email. He never has responded.

Yesterday, Wednesday 3/27 about noon, got an email from an Inside Delivery Advisor (IDA) saying he had requested my vehicle be taken from an off site storage to the San Diego Delivery Center. I live in Dallas, but did not want to pay the $2K to have the car shipped to Dallas, so I agreed to pick up the car in San Diego. After receiving the email, I called the IDA and he was very nice and helpful. We talked about Trade In and they agreed to accept the offer I got from CarMax (very nice as it was over $1K than Tesla's offer).

The only issue remaining was Tesla now requires the trade in be handled over to them the same day of delivery. That would make it difficult to drop the trade in Dallas in the morning, fly to San Diego at noon and pick up the car late the same day. Thought about driving the trade to San Diego but after some consideration decided the tax savings would not merit adding 1,350 miles to the car, plus expenses in gasoline, hotel & meals, not to mention the time required to get there (and the chance for some road damage). So I asked for Tesla to reconsider and see if they would allow me to turn in the car in Dallas the day before taking delivery in San Diego, I could fly to San Diego early in the morning and be there by 9AM. Otherwise, I would turn in the car to CarMax and not worry about it. He said he was going to see if they could do that and let me know.

Based on Tesla's decision they will write the MVPA. I thought it would have come today. Tried to call the IDA but no answer. Was able to leave a message (no full mailbox) then send a follow up email. No word from Tesla today.

Was hoping I could have picked up the car on Saturday, but now it looks like it will be next week, I am really hoping!

Overall not a bad experience,I wish there was better communication from Tesla, but I can also imagine they are really really busy, as it nears end of quarter and they have been having huge discounts onCPO's and Demos.

So looking forward to my getting my first Tesla, a dream I never thought could materialize. So grateful to CPO's.

Here is a Tesla photo of the car.
Untitled.jpg

Reactions: Denila
Thank you for the informative read. Could you perhaps share your personal inspection checklist aside? It will help me and others brainstorm certain ideas. Did you have to have a Tesla rep do a full inspection of your trade-in like a typical used car dealer?

Thank you for the informative read. Could you perhaps share your personal inspection checklist aside? It will help me and others brainstorm certain ideas. Did you have to have a Tesla rep do a full inspection of your trade-in like a typical used car dealer?

No problem at all. I'm glad you found it helpful. Btw, the caps were for me....I'm not yelling at you:

IF YOU FIND ANY ISSUES TAKE PHOTOS AND HAVE THEM DOCUMENTED.

-Verify VIN/mileage matches your order.

-Walk around car and check body and glass for cosmetic damage above Tesla threshold. Check tire tread (bring gauge).

-Inspect all four door handles, trunk, frunk, charger port check MCU screen for any discoloration, blinkers, and hazard lights. Verify handles present, trunk & charger port door open/close normally. Verify all lights inside and outside the vehicle function. Verify windows and sunroof open and close normally. Verify MCU is running latest software version.

-Make sure you get two remotes (test buttons), floor mats, parcel shelf, charging cable and adapters (J1772, NEMA 5-15, and NEMA 14-50). Verify supplied charging cable works. If anything is missing or broken, have it captured on the Due Bill.

-REPAIR REQUEST(S) SHOULD BE CAPTURED ON THE DUE BILL. DO NOT LEAVE THE SERVICE CENTER WITHOUT A COPY OF THIS.

That's it! If you care to look around, lots of people have done their own checklists. Some of which are way (waaaay) more detailed then mine. Also, one thing I would add that I didn't think of at the time, is that if your car is close to a scheduled maintenance interval (I got my car with 47k miles), see if they'll take care of it for you prior to delivery. I have no idea what their policy is on this, but it doesn't hurt to ask right?

Regarding the trade in process, I honestly don't know what they did. I didn't watch them inspect the trade in. My only concern was that they honor the quoted trade in value, which they did.

Tesla’s trade in offer was $1,300 less than what CarMax offered me. Tesla agreed to honor the CarMax offer, unfortunately the trade is in Dallas and the Tesla I am picking up is in San Diego. Tesla requires trade ins be done the same day as delivery, which makes it difficult to drop the car first thing in the morning, fly to San Diego, and pick up the car all the same day. Doable, but flights are too often cancelled or delayed. At the end, we decided not to do the trade, my wife is going to keep the car.