Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S or Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a Signature Model S, we love it, my wife is always stealing it to drive to work, and we are already considering a second Tesla...

Budget is around $40k. I could buy wholesale and could save several thousand on a used Model S. However, the Model 3 pricing looks pretty great, especially now that the standard range is for sale.

I think I could get a 2015-2016 Tesla with AP1, mid 50k miles, for under $40k. Free supercharging for life is not that important to me in Hawaii.

Or a Model 3 SR or SR+ new for around $35-40k. In writing this post, I realize I don't know much about the differences between the Model S and Model 3...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Do you have kids, adults, or stuff you fill the car with? If you need the extra room then S.

If not, get a 3. However, we have a young family and enjoy the 3 more but usually travel/pack light. BUT man do I miss our S! They are different cars. Different tools for the job. Cruiser (S) vs athletic car (3). Do we want a X, hellz yeah!

Which island are you on? Don’t get caught up on AP. Really think about if you need it. It’s nice sure but not necessary for anything under an hour. Teslas are amazing without AP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gu$ G
I just bought a Signature Model S, we love it, my wife is always stealing it to drive to work, and we are already considering a second Tesla...

Budget is around $40k. I could buy wholesale and could save several thousand on a used Model S. However, the Model 3 pricing looks pretty great, especially now that the standard range is for sale.

I think I could get a 2015-2016 Tesla with AP1, mid 50k miles, for under $40k. Free supercharging for life is not that important to me in Hawaii.

Or a Model 3 SR or SR+ new for around $35-40k. In writing this post, I realize I don't know much about the differences between the Model S and Model 3...

Thanks in advance for any help!

If you need the extra space, I would recommend a CPO 85D or P85D that you can buy for around $40K if you are patient. At that price is a great value plus future depreciation would also be a lot less.