Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model Y problem with glass / warranty claim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a 2021 model Y with approx 16K miles on it through the Tesla website. When picking up the car at time of delivery (5/10/24), upon inspection of the car, noticed that some of the windows (particularly passenger sides) had a dirty film on the outside. Inquired about this since we knew the car had been sent off for cleaning (delivery had been delayed several days because of this) and they didn't provide much information but we decided to move forward with pickup. As I began driving the vehicle daily I started to notice that not only the passenger side windows had film and distortion, there was also distortion and etching on the front and back windshields. During daytime it was not as apparent, but at night the front windshield is very blurry when viewing through, particularly when oncoming traffic (car lights and stop lights) are in view. (It almost looks like viewing through a pair of glasses with the wrong prescription- hard to see and hurts your eyes). We ended up taking to a local professional detailer and he worked on it for several hours but was unable to repair and said there was definitely a problem with the glass. Tried calling Tesla multiple times but could never get anyone to help so we scheduled a service appointment which took place today (5/28). The service manager immediately saw the problem and agreed it was an issue but indicated they had to escalate the issue to see if it can be covered as a warranty item (which could take up to 5 weeks). He said he would "go to bat" for us and was hopeful that it would be taken care of, but of course made no promises. In the meantime, I am driving a vehicle that I don't feel safe driving at night.

This is my first experience buying a Tesla and I am so disappointed in the process. I specifically purchased FROM Tesla thinking they would have the highest standards for their own used vehicles. I also don't understand how a company that is supposed to be so good with tech cannot find a more efficient way to communicate with it's customers. At this point we are going to wait it out and hope they do the right thing.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Do we have a reasonable chance of getting this covered under warranty and if not, what are next steps?

Yeah… about that.

I know, right? I mean, its a perfectly reasonable assumption to make, too. I even considered it briefly myself, but then when I was looking into it, I realized that tesla wont even call their used cars "certified pre owned cars", like a lot of dealers.

If they say that, it means they have to actually have a checklist they execute on, AND they actually have to give it to you if you ask for it. So, they dont sell "certified" pre-owned cars. They sell "used" cars, with no certification provided, no promise of "101 point inspection!" like other car dealers do (even if most of that is sort bogus), and dont even really let someone have pictures of the car before they buy it.

When I found out those last 2 things (no promise of any real sort of checklist inspection by Tesla that you could get, and you cant even really see the car you are buying in person before committing to it), i was like "this is absolutely 10000% not a purchasing process for me (tesla used cars).

New cars, I dont mind it at all (and I went to see both Teslas we own in person before turning over the money for them, as well.

I hope they fix the glass for this OP. I think they likely will, especially if the service manager said they would try to assist. Thats hurdle number one cleared.

• Informative
Reactions: Pianewman and Thp3
Upvote 0