Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla damaged before delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are still awaiting delivery of our used Model S. We went to pick it up on Friday, however upon arrival of our appointment, Tesla informed us they were not able to deliver it due to a mechanical issue with the frunk latch. We asked to see the car since we were already there and discovered a small dent (about the size of a nickel). The dent was new as shown in the 2 pictures of the area supplied when we put down our deposit. The area had been shoddily filled touched up with paint. It is unknown to us whether the dent occurred during the transportation or while on the Tesla lot.

We have asked Tesla to repair the dent since it occurred after we agreed to purchase the car. We are currently getting some push back from Tesla since the size is "smaller than a quarter and they consider it normal wear and tear." I can understand their stance if the car had the dent prior to us purchasing, but since the dent was new I feel it should be repaired.

1. What has been your experience with Tesla repairing damage that occurred after for sale photos?
2. Does anyone know where to find the specifics of "cosmetic standards" or "cosmetic inspections" for a used Tesla?

Thanks!

You are in for a fight, sadly. Be prepared to walk away if you do not get the answer you want. use the words 'refuse delivery'. Tesla customer service has gone very downhill over the last year or so. Service/repair times have gone from days, to weeks, to months; or more. My own experience has been a crap shoot on each service visit. Regardless, If/when they finally agree to repair the dent, get it in writing.

GET. IT. IN. WRITING!

This cannot be stressed enough. Any promise they make to you will mean nothing unless you can back it up on their letterhead. Whomever is helping you with your car purchase will ghost you after you sign the paperwork and you'll be in the same service shithole the rest of us are in.

GET IT IN WRITING!!!!

Other things you should look at before delivery:
Center screen yellow border - Tesla refuses to replace. they will try to tell you there is a fix being developed, they have been saying that for years. While we are on the subject...
Integrated cluster yellow border - Same issue as center screen yellow border. Tesla may agree to replace.
Fading headlight DRL - Requires headlight replacement.
Overall paint fit/finish - Tesla may or may not agree to fix. On a used vehicle, it's not likely.
Main Battery degradation - Any degradation over 5% is a red flag and could indicate that the battery has been mistreated. Tesla does not replace batteries over lost range so you'll have to accept whatever the car has now. The only alternative is to refuse delivery.

GET ALL PROMISES IN WRITING!

Reactions: AMPd
You are in for a fight, sadly. Be prepared to walk away if you do not get the answer you want. use the words 'refuse delivery'. Tesla customer service has gone very downhill over the last year or so. Service/repair times have gone from days, to weeks, to months; or more. My own experience has been a crap shoot on each service visit. Regardless, If/when they finally agree to repair the dent, get it in writing.

GET. IT. IN. WRITING!

This cannot be stressed enough. Any promise they make to you will mean nothing unless you can back it up on their letterhead. Whomever is helping you with your car purchase will ghost you after you sign the paperwork and you'll be in the same service shithole the rest of us are in.

GET IT IN WRITING!!!!

Other things you should look at before delivery:
Center screen yellow border - Tesla refuses to replace. they will try to tell you there is a fix being developed, they have been saying that for years. While we are on the subject...
Integrated cluster yellow border - Same issue as center screen yellow border. Tesla may agree to replace.
Fading headlight DRL - Requires headlight replacement.
Overall paint fit/finish - Tesla may or may not agree to fix. On a used vehicle, it's not likely.
Main Battery degradation - Any degradation over 5% is a red flag and could indicate that the battery has been mistreated. Tesla does not replace batteries over lost range so you'll have to accept whatever the car has now. The only alternative is to refuse delivery.

GET ALL PROMISES IN WRITING!

St. Charles,
Thank you for your informative response...and the additional insight! We are initial adopters of the Nissan Leaf so we are very sensitive to battery degradation and really looking forward to the Tesla for there relatively small amount reported thus far. SO, how do we ascertain the battery level prior to/during time of delivery?

The yellowing border on the center screen and integrated cluster I have heard about before, and will google photos so I can refresh my memory on what it looks like.

The fading headlight drl is a new one to me so I will need to google to learn what to look for on that issue.

I realize that we are buying a used vehicle and we are not expecting perfection at all. My Subaru is the same age, so it is easy to accept minor imperfections as I can use mine as a gauge of what is normal wear and tear.

We are really looking forward to owning/driving a Tesla, as this it is a car I have been coveting since 2012.

Thanks again for your help!

Reactions: SMAlset
Here is a thread on the Headlight issue.
Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

I have this problem on both sides (March 2018 build; 16,500mi). I'll take a picture tonight, if I remember to do so. It's really, really obvious if the DRL is failing. Half the DRL strip is illuminated whereas the other half is...not.

What configuration is your Model S?
It is a 10/15 build 85D. Premium lighting pkg, Ultra Hi-Fi sound, Subzero weather package, standard suspension and pano roof and AP hardware 1. It has just under 35,000 miles.

We just heard from Tesla that they will be taking care of the small dent prior to our delivery...hopefully delivery now on Thursday this week.

Damn I guess I got lucky - I found some damage on mine during delivery and Tesla agreed to fix it as well as pop out 2 small dents. They even agreed to fix a small ding on the door that wasnt shown in the photos. Anything not in the photos is fair game to me, imo.

I had nothing in writing from them, they told me to go to my local certified body shop, I pointed out all the problem areas and Tesla covered the whole cost.

Reactions: St Charles