Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using ABRP Configurations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d like to hear from people who use the Configurations feature of ABRP – the choices for “Cargo on Roof”, “Bikes on Back”, etc. How do you approach using it to plan your first trip with a cargo box on your roof, and how do you go about fine-tuning the planning as you complete more trips? Just trying to figure out how to avoid running out of charge unexpectedly.

Two related questions:

1) If you don’t have an ODB BLE dongle, then of course it’s possible to manually enter a reference consumption for each Configuration, but there’s a catch: This turns off the Premium version’s “Automatic Settings” so you lose the ability to get a refined trip that reflects live weather and traffic. Does anyone have a suggested workaround for people planning a trip using Cargo on Roof etc. for the first time?

2) If you connect a dongle to get live data, ABRP will stubbornly remember the Departure SoC from when it was last connected, and will refuse to let you manually enter a different Departure SoC. (Mine is stuck on 54%, which messes up my trip planning.) Any suggestions for how to get around this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can share their experience. I've tried asking these questions several times through ABRP support, but have not received an answer.

2) If you connect a dongle to get live data, ABRP will stubbornly remember the Departure SoC from when it was last connected, and will refuse to let you manually enter a different Departure SoC. (Mine is stuck on 54%, which messes up my trip planning.) Any suggestions for how to get around this?
I've never used a roof box, or taken our bike rack on long trips, but I do have a little experience with live data.

I get live data by connecting my Tesla account through the mobile app. (That's a little easier than getting a token, which you have to do to connect through the web site.)

But after you have a starting point for your trip, you can click on the three "equalizer bars" to expand it and override your departure state of charge, and also your departure time. You can also do this for each waypoint, so that if you are staying at a place with destination charging, you can put how fast the charger is and what state of charge you want to get to, and it will calculate how long you need to stay there.

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 10.56.45 AM.png