Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellowstone National Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’re planning a trip for next year (May 2024) driving from Kentucky to Yellowstone National Park/Grand Tetons. Plan to enter the park from the north west side near Gardiner and spend several days there, then stay in West Yellowstone, then onto Jackson. How realistic is it to take our Model Y LR in terms of charging. I’ve used PlugShare and ABRP to plot out certain routes but my main concern is the drive between West Yellowstone (supercharger here) and Jackson/Grand Tetons. For anyone that’s done this national park do I need to charge to 90-100% everyday? Does the Tesla navigation work inside the park? I’ve read several posts that say it doesn’t. Thanks for any helpful info.

Speed limits in the parks are low so you will find in general you will get good efficiency. W Yellowstone supercharger to Jackson supercharger through the parks is only 128 mi.

Where do you plan to stay? Inside the park? There are multiple level 2 options in Mammoth, one destination charger at the Canyon lodge and a couple level 2s at the employee dorms of the Lake Yellowstone hotel (which is where we charged our LR MY on a trip there in Sept. '21). If you are staying in one of those spots my only concern would be how many other EVs want to use them as there are more on the road then 2 years ago. If you are staying in W Yellowstone it should be easy. You won't need to charge all the way up everyday, 80% or so should get you comfortably all around the park.

I don't recall the nav not working, but you don't need it anyway it in the park, there aren't very many roads.

As for getting to Gardiner you have options. Be aware the SC in Sioux Falls SD is right at the entrance to a liquor store and is frequently ICEd. The I-94 route has all newer v3 superchargers (including a new one in Billings MT that just opened today).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jwuwu and byeLT4

ideas:​

Experience Cody WY to West Yellowstone MT​

Beartooth Hwy is great but probably wont be open in May.

We’re planning a trip for next year (May 2024) driving from Kentucky to Yellowstone National Park/Grand Tetons. Plan to enter the park from the north west side near Gardiner and spend several days there, then stay in West Yellowstone, then onto Jackson. How realistic is it to take our Model Y LR in terms of charging. I’ve used PlugShare and ABRP to plot out certain routes but my main concern is the drive between West Yellowstone (supercharger here) and Jackson/Grand Tetons. For anyone that’s done this national park do I need to charge to 90-100% everyday? Does the Tesla navigation work inside the park? I’ve read several posts that say it doesn’t. Thanks for any helpful info.
I did part of this same trip last August in reverse. Idaho Falls to West Yellowstone (to destination charger at Grey Wolf Inn) via Jackson Hole entering Yellowstone NP from the south. 235 miles easy with 80% charge M3LR. 80% daily was also plenty for two days driving all around the park. The North exit to Gardiner was closed due to flooding last June so we drove to Billings via Bozeman (US 191 - I90) also easy with 80% (233 miles). We wanted to drive direct east through Cody to Sheridan - but 365 miles even with 100% charge was to anxiety generating for me (Cody really needs some DCFC!)

Bear tooth highway was also closed last August - must return soon to enjoy that drive - ABRP showed that trip from West Yellowstone just as easy as those listed above.

Yellowstone was my first real road trip with M3 and proved to me the car is perfect for excursions like these. 21K miles in one year with no reason to slow down now.

Enjoy your trip!

Forgot to add:
There is no cell service through much of Yellowstone and I found that when stopping for sight seeing in an area with no cell signal - the navigation system tried to redo the route when continuing - no map data on screen and no turn by turn. I expected no satellite ground view - but the no map data surprised me. The system corrected itself each time it got a cell signal. I haven’t come across this since then when loosing cell signal in other areas.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: scottf200
Thanks for tips and info. I was assuming I’d use more battery than what you all said above so that’s reassuring. We’re debating on renting an RV and staying a few days in the park in addition to some campgrounds outside the park OR just staying in hotels/VRBOs. This will be our first trip going through multiple states using the Tesla, normally driving a van.

Threeputts, thanks for the heads up about the Sioux Falls SC

I'm driving a 2017 100D X so your Wh/mi is going to be better (40+). Here is my TeslaFI data that shows Jackson WY to West Yellowstone MT. I only charged to 64% in Jackson WY and easily made it to West Yellowstone MT. It is a fairly slow drive (speed limit) and only 130-ish miles so your Wh/mi is going to be great.

You are inside the peak time so your viewing and stops should be great. I'd get out reasonably early still to avoid crowds.

Note: If you have an annual pass (we bought before we went) then when going into the Park from West Yellowstone, make sure you get into the rightmost lane which is for people with passes. We failed to see that. ;)

pGFSol7.jpg

u8mmGUW.jpg

Beartooth Hwy is great but probably wont be open in May.
Doh!

Reactions: GrinchKing