Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utility PG&E scapegoating EVs for their aging equipment failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming you have above ground (pole) utilities, you might be able to get one of those laser temp reader devices and point it at your local transformer to gather your own temperature readings at various times...

It seems a smarter grid would also include using transformers that can turn themselves off before overheating, regardless of any EV-charging control (wherever new transformers are installed), and 'smart fuses' along all relevant paths of the grid.

It seems a smarter grid would also include using transformers that can turn themselves off before overheating, regardless of any EV-charging control (wherever new transformers are installed), and 'smart fuses' along all relevant paths of the grid.

In other words they will have engineered the ability to turn off it's inadequate system before it injures itself further.

If a smart grid is determed to be necessary, I'm sure the consumer will pay for it with a rate increase. I grew up next to the construction of Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant. Prior to construction we as local ratepayers were promised a lifetime of "cheap" power. Now decades later we are paying some of the highest rates ($.28/ kwh summer peak) in the country, and subsidize the continued operation of this plant. Just my 2cents!

If a smart grid is determed to be necessary, I'm sure the consumer will pay for it with a rate increase.

Right, assuming that all power consumption is metered, they might for example put the off-switches into smart meters, and charge it to each customer. It would still require overload/temperature detection on the transformers and grid points/paths, though.