Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UVA and UVB ray Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears no one is producing sunscreens that fit the refresh X yet. Some have had theirs tinted. But, one installer indicated he won’t do tint on the X's front windshield because it may cause it to crack. I'm ready to put some cardboard up there and send the photo to Tesla.

I went ahead and purchased a UV meter that measures the combination of UVa and UVb. I was pleasantly surprised that the meter remained essentially at zero for UV coming through the windshield but especially the roof. The side windows do in fact allow some UV rays to enter. So now I am having the two side windows tinted with material that will stop the UV. Obviously in Calif, the tinting of windows even if clear is against the law. I tried to see if I could get a prescription from my Dermatologist. But he said no as did my Primary Doctor. Kind of surprised.

Reactions: Prairie
I went ahead and purchased a UV meter that measures the combination of UVa and UVb. I was pleasantly surprised that the meter remained essentially at zero for UV coming through the windshield but especially the roof. The side windows do in fact allow some UV rays to enter. So now I am having the two side windows tinted with material that will stop the UV. Obviously in Calif, the tinting of windows even if clear is against the law. I tried to see if I could get a prescription from my Dermatologist. But he said no as did my Primary Doctor. Kind of surprised.
How much was coming through the middle row sides? I am considering a clear layer if it's a lot. Thanks.

Having had melanoma in the past, Can someone provide the UV protection provided by the large windshield in the model X? I am concerned with the UVA and UVB rays.
We also have melanoma in the family, and I remember reading that most if not all auto glass manufacturers come with UVA/UVB protection. So adding window tint on top of that should provide 100% protection. Good to hear the windshield on the X refresh is blocking the rays. That was a big concern for me too. Cheers!

Didn't Cali used to be notorious for being easy to get a medical marijuana prescription? You'd think it'd be easy to get something for tint, considering your medical history, but alas, no.

Look up films by "LLUMAR", they make an Air80 and Air90 film that are practically clear, no one would be able to tell, and they block 100% UV and some heat.