Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 not needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6E9B16A6-CBE1-4F32-A0B3-3A7B4CFC7783.jpeg
this week we traveled to Cali and the car was always ready before we were. We routinely were seeing high 500’s for mph. Highest we got was 613mph. Has anyone seen higher on a V2 charger?

Reactions: dhrivnak
Highest we got was 613mph. Has anyone seen higher on a V2 charger?
Yes, a Model 3 LR RWD can theoretically do 641 mi/hr at 150kW. It’s a straight calculation from the power indication. For a 3 LR RWD, the multiplier is 4.272 mi/hr / kW.

But getting 150kW requires just the right thermal conditions. 144-147kW is more typical. Here’s an example of someone getting 623 mi/hr at 146kW.

05A72C85-31FB-4773-98DF-83BC10FF609B.jpeg

Well, I've had several disappointingly slow sessions in triple digits recently that I was pretty sure were because of the temps. How long did it hold the 144?
We just completed a 3300 mile round trip from Austin to Philadelphia with 15 supercharging stops and five nights of hotels with destination charging. I routinely got 144 kW charging until about 50%, and the car was always ready before we were finished eating. Supercharging is dramatically faster now than when I had a S 60 that peaked at 90kW for a brief time.

We just completed a 3300 mile round trip from Austin to Philadelphia with 15 supercharging stops and five nights of hotels with destination charging. I routinely got 144 kW charging until about 50%, and the car was always ready before we were finished eating. Supercharging is dramatically faster now than when I had a S 60 that peaked at 90kW for a brief time.

That sounds like what I was seeing last week, but not for three desert heat stops in a row on Monday and Tuesday.

Lol it’s more like it’s not really needed cause the car charges so fast already but don’t get me wrong I’m totally down for a 40% improvement.
Another thing to keep in mind that makes your thread title incorrect. Pull in and all the A's are taken and you must share. You then will only get dregs and could be getting 20kW. With V3 there is no A/B sharing and you can get up to 250kW even if you get the last stall.

Lol it’s more like it’s not really needed cause the car charges so fast already but don’t get me wrong I’m totally down for a 40% improvement.
A lot of people will be excited because "250kW" seems so much faster than "150kW", but the reality is that the charging time will be less than 5 minutes faster. The biggest benefit from V3 stations, especially in hot climates like AZ, will be the consistent charge power due to the cooled cables in addition to not having to share power between stalls.

Here's a graph I made that shows the charging times under ideal conditions (hot battery, cold charger). The difference between V2 and V3 for a charge from 5 to 50% is 4.6 minutes, but V2 is 50% slower (9.3 vs 13.9 min). For a charge from 20 to 80%, the difference is only 2.8 minutes and the math works out such that V2 is only 14% slower (20.3 vs 23.1 min).

So V3 is less than 5 minutes faster under ideal conditions but it can provide more consistent power from it's more robust thermal management and dedicated chargers.

20190706b 3LR chrg time.png

Last edited: