Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Success - North American spec 2017 Model S successfully charging at V2 and V3 superchargers in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we were considering whether or not to ship our NA spec Model S to Europe for 2 years, we came across a lot of outdated and conflicting information. And we could not find any reports of successful V3 supercharging here. We knew we would not likely have charging at home and we have free supercharging - so being able to supercharge was important plus the nearest supercharger is V3. We were not willing to sell our NA spec and buy a Europeon one due to the switching costs and it only being 2 years. After lots of reading and talking to Tesla service nearby our new location, we decided to go for it.

Before leaving the US, we got the CCS retrofit from Tesla and purchased a number of adapters. We bought the TPC to CCS2 adapter from EVSE. I’m happy to report we can supercharge with this adapter at V2 and V3 superchargers.

There are of course still limitations and we are unable to use the navigation function - but we bought an apple CarPlay device that runs on the Tesla web browser that allows us to display google maps.

When we were considering whether or not to ship our NA spec Model S to Europe for 2 years, we came across a lot of outdated and conflicting information. And we could not find any reports of successful V3 supercharging here. We knew we would not likely have charging at home and we have free supercharging - so being able to supercharge was important plus the nearest supercharger is V3. We were not willing to sell our NA spec and buy a Europeon one due to the switching costs and it only being 2 years. After lots of reading and talking to Tesla service nearby our new location, we decided to go for it.

Before leaving the US, we got the CCS retrofit from Tesla and purchased a number of adapters. We bought the TPC to CCS2 adapter from EVSE. I’m happy to report we can supercharge with this adapter at V2 and V3 superchargers.

There are of course still limitations and we are unable to use the navigation function - but we bought an apple CarPlay device that runs on the Tesla web browser that allows us to display google maps.
Are there two different CCS retrofits? For example is there a unique ECU for Europe and a unique ECU for NA? If so which one did you use?

I am in a very similar situation going to Europe for 3 years and would greatly appreciate if you could post a serial number of the ECU you were retrofit with while you were still in the US.

Thanks!

Are there two different CCS retrofits? For example is there a unique ECU for Europe and a unique ECU for NA? If so which one did you use?

I am in a very similar situation going to Europe for 3 years and would greatly appreciate if you could post a serial number of the ECU you were retrofit with while you were still in the US.

Thanks!
Depending on the model car yes, they are basically exactly the same part just a eu ecu and us ecu idk what the actual difference is converting the model y or model 3 is fairly easy to do i've learned it's a little bit harder to do with the model s or model x.