Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 superchargers general question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to. V3 charger for the first time today. It had 6 stalls marked 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, and 2C. I thought each was supposed to be a dedicated 250kw, Does the A-B-C designation imply that they are not dedicated? It took me 40 minutes to charge from 28% to 90%.

No not dedicated. V3 has each cabinet serving up to 4 stalls, hence the 1A, B, C, D. But the cabinets are interconnected, so it doesn't matter which stall you use whatever power is available for you to use and that your car can take will be routed to you. It's not sharing like the V2 superchargers did, it's different.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I went to. V3 charger for the first time today. It had 6 stalls marked 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, and 2C. I thought each was supposed to be a dedicated 250kw, Does the A-B-C designation imply that they are not dedicated? It took me 40 minutes to charge from 28% to 90%.
It's a shared cabinet in terms of electronics. Each dispenser can deliver a non-shared 250kw.

I have charged our Model Y at 251kw with a hot battery pack and a low state of charge until it tapered.

It's all about the charge curve, charging past 80% at an SC IMO is waste of time. Test charging from 5% to 80% you will find it faster than changing from 28% to 90%.

Reactions: Bacalao

Full 250 kW is only realized below about 25%. For best results, plug in between 10 and 15%.

In the configuration you describe, two V3 cabinets supply six pedestals with up to 700 kW combined.* If six cars pulled up empty, they would each get about 116 kW. If the station had solar or battery storage installed and available, that total would be increased.

*one caveat: if the station you describe is fed by a 500 kVA grid transformer, the maximum load would be closer to 500 kW, perhaps with some temporary peaks above that.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Chuq
Yep, to really take advantage of the v3 stations, you’ve got to disconnect at something like 50% state of charge. Get enough range to reach the next station with a little buffer, disconnect, and get back on the road. I road trip with Supercharger stations by taking quick bio breaks and typically getting back on the road with about 160 miles of range displayed on my LR RWD Model 3.

A charge to 90% or higher is going to take a LONG time. Tesla has stated that charging from 0% to 80% takes the same amount of time as charging from 80% to 100%.