Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 software update - strange dash cam file handling and timestamps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been testing the new dashcam software in the recently pushed V9 update.

Using a thumb drive, you create a folder called, "TeslaCam". Plug the drive into either one of your USB ports and you will see an icon appear on the status bar at the top of the screen.

The video is recorded in 1-minute segments, each getting a separate file within the folder. If you tap the icon, according to the instructions, you will download 10 minutes to be saved on the thumb drive.

Here's the thing: The timestamps on the 1-minute files are wrong and in addition, the 10 minute saved file really should be saved in another folder instead of the "TeslaCam" folder so that it's simple to spot and organize but that is not how it seems to work.

Saving a 10-minute download looks to save it in the same folder (TeslaCam). This makes the organization strange and makes cleaning up the excessive number of 1-minute videos using a computer a little cumbersome.

Does anyone else see this as an area that needs improvement?

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Mine is messed up too. The time/date stamps are wrong, and it doesn’t appear that you can view any part of the 1 hour “loop” of video. At least on mine. My 1 min files seem to be 1 SECOND.

I’ve also pressed the dashcam icon to save the last 10 min of vid, and it didn’t save any files, anywhere.

I’m an IT idiot...but I think it’s not working right.

Is it true that Dashcam feature is only available for AP 2.5 not for AP 2.0? I got the update, created a folder “TeslaCam” on a USB drive, plugged it into the USB port, but can’t seem to locate the Dashcam feature. Any help will be appreciated.

This is standard practice for SW that is used worldwide, so you are most likely correct. Folks will need to convert the times manually from UTC to their current time zone.

Should be trivial to write the files in the user's local time, given the car can already do this on the touchscreen. Dashcam functionality seems rushed just to get it out there. Maybe some day they'll make it a bit more user friendly, particularly with how it currently saves files.

Should be trivial to write the files in the user's local time, given the car can already do this on the touchscreen. Dashcam functionality seems rushed just to get it out there. Maybe some day they'll make it a bit more user friendly, particularly with how it currently saves files.

Probably is, but its standard for world wide software releases. As an example. Microsoft IIS (web server) log files are written in UTC due to the nature of it being used across the globe.

Installed version 9 (39.7 9736c9b) on my Model 3 two weeks ago. Dash cam works fine. I get an accurate date stamp. Time was close to EDT in Florida but not exact. It may be a coincidence. Definitely not GMT. Cam stopped recording two days after installation. Erased all the footage on the stick and started over. No problem since then.

This is an old thread about time stamp on dashcam and sentry clips.

Today, Feb 2020, the time stamp on the clips is still off. It shows MINUS 9 hours, compared to my local time (GMT+1), which would suggest its hard-coded to use US West-coast time.

Does anyone have some “inside info” about this as to whether Tesla is working on it?

Looks like they are not..

This is an old thread about time stamp on dashcam and sentry clips.

Today, Feb 2020, the time stamp on the clips is still off. It shows MINUS 9 hours, compared to my local time (GMT+1), which would suggest its hard-coded to use US West-coast time.

Does anyone have some “inside info” about this as to whether Tesla is working on it?

Looks like they are not..
Have you ever able to fix this issue? I got the new tesla MY and it shows the time in PST instead of EST.