Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver Model 3 Pickup Issues...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm always taken aback at what we're able to overlook or ignore when we're emotionally invested. If some of these issues aren't a big deal, then why are they not taken care of, or proactively corrected at a SC? Lowest tier or not, this model along with the Y will ultimately decide whether Tesla becomes a real player, market share wise. We as consumers have a responsibly to hold Tesla accountable to a minimum set of standards. Is showing up to your delivery appointment with calipers too much? Most likely. But anything that can visually be picked up in a 5-10 minute inspection, especially in areas that are a known problem is concerning. At this rate a Tesla vehicle will never be accepting in a place/culture like Japan. I think Tesla enthusiasts have lost sight on just how much money $40-50K means to the average family, and how big a decision this purchase can be. I support the brand and organization, but it's not our privilege to be their customer. At some point they're not going to be the only legitimate player in this space. OP I think you did the right thing.

Reactions: N5329K
500kms to drive home! You should get a trailer just to save the kms but counter productive?

I think the next one will be perfect as they know what we expect. Good luck to you.
They apparently aren't allowed at-home delivery in BC for some reason, it was something I asked about early in the process. I guess I could've put it on a trailer myself, but I wasn't that pessimistic at the time that I'd need to save the 500km! Hah.

I'm always taken aback at what we're able to overlook or ignore when we're emotionally invested. If some of these issues aren't a big deal, then why are they not taken care of, or proactively corrected at a SC? Lowest tier or not, this model along with the Y will ultimately decide whether Tesla becomes a real player, market share wise. We as consumers have a responsibly to hold Tesla accountable to a minimum set of standards. Is showing up to your delivery appointment with calipers too much? Most likely. But anything that can visually be picked up in a 5-10 minute inspection, especially in areas that are a known problem is concerning. At this rate a Tesla vehicle will never be accepting in a place/culture like Japan. I think Tesla enthusiasts have lost sight on just how much money $40-50K means to the average family, and how big a decision this purchase can be. I support the brand and organization, but it's not our privilege to be their customer. At some point they're not going to be the only legitimate player in this space. OP I think you did the right thing.
Amen brother, I know emotions can overtake the desire to have it, not many will reject one but I'm a bit seasoned. As well I like to see how things are handled and was shocked that they found it acceptable and offered not even an apology. Do they even provide customer service training for their staff delivering vehicles over 50k? When you buy a used vehicle, you have that vehicle inspected by a professional. Maybe I should hire one for my next Tesla, if they ever call me back?

Maybe I should hire one for my next Tesla, if they ever call me back?
Someone could actually make a decent living at this. Folks who buy airplanes often insist on an expert pre-inspection prior to the sale, and Tesla surely has opened the door to that kind of buyer advocate/representation.
Russians have a saying: Behind every inefficiency lies a career. This would be an example of that, I think.
Robin

Reactions: Lektrons
I am in Vancouver and picked up in July '19. I am not sure where your delivery was but mine at the Powell St. Location.
It was way less busy there than what I saw at the West 4th location (when I test drove) but this may have made the difference? (disclaimer, the printers were down here too lol)

There were 3 scratches on the bottom of my front bumper during delivery. I took pictures of them and showed it to the SA during paperwork. He got someone to fix them all during this time so it all worked out.

Not sure how helpful this is but good luck on your next one!

@Lektrons, you won't get a lot of love here for refusing a delivery. I'm sad to see Vancouver deliveries are still struggling.

I agree with you. You shouldn't have to bring up obvious issues, the car should never be presented like that. I've dealt mostly with Honda, and I got much better delivery service for a vehicle that was half the price. Scuff/scratch on the steering wheel during delivery at the dealership was promptly replaced, even though I had driven it more than 1000km since delivery (I had to immediately drive to Vancouver and back upon getting it). With Tesla, I would've had to report this immediately, drive the new vehicle home, schedule an appointment that's over a month out, drive 5+ hours to Vancouver and wait for them to replace a steering wheel without any guarantee it would be fixed or available later the same day, maybe make last minute local accommodation reservations, then drive it home. This isn't conjecture, there are minor delivery issues with my car that will never be fixed due to my "too late" reporting (>100km, it's 500km just to drive the car home) and the scenario I just outlined. And yes, I was told mobile service does not handle delivery issues, so I was indeed specifically requested to go back to Vancouver.

Tesla should hurt for this. Don't just "accept it because every manufacturer does this". They don't. They make it right, usually prior to you ever seeing anything was ever wrong. And if there is something wrong, it's usually much easier to address than Tesla makes it. You saved yourself a potential headache. Best wishes on the next one being in acceptable condition!

Driving from Vernon to Vancouver and back for steering wheel replacement. They have quite a few mobile service cars driving around all over BC. Couldn't they come to you to replace it?

Driving from Vernon to Vancouver and back for steering wheel replacement. They have quite a few mobile service cars driving around all over BC. Couldn't they come to you to replace it?
Could, yes. Will, no.

They specifically separate delivery issues from warranty issues, and delivery issues need to be dealt with where they originated. To be utterly fair, Honda was the same way, it's just that traditional manufacturers are closer to any given person on average. I've never been more than 30 minutes away from a Honda dealer and we've lived in 5 different towns. I've always been at least 3.5 hours away from current Tesla centres.

@Lektrons, you won't get a lot of love here for refusing a delivery. I'm sad to see Vancouver deliveries are still struggling.

I agree with you. You shouldn't have to bring up obvious issues, the car should never be presented like that. I've dealt mostly with Honda, and I got much better delivery service for a vehicle that was half the price.

Ahh, Vancouver! Yes some of the worse Representatives I have encountered. Just today a rep told me "your wasting everyone's time, and mine"