Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

vehicle specific charging capacity considerations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if Tesla Navigation considers a vehicle max charge capacity when determining SC stops? My '17S 75D peaks at ~130Kw so SC V 3 & 4 capability is lost on me and I will sit at a stall longer than a newer model. If there is a SC V2 along my route maybe I should be routed there and let the faster charging cars get the new SC stalls.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Hey, don't let anybody tell you you're not good enough. You use those V3 and V4 chargers and enjoy every moment of it.

😉

But seriously, even a 130kw max vehicle will benefit from V3, as V2 has the potential to share between two stalls and you'll get reduced to an even slower speed.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Wondering if Tesla Navigation considers a vehicle max charge capacity when determining SC stops? My '17S 75D peaks at ~130Kw so SC V 3 & 4 capability is lost on me and I will sit at a stall longer than a newer model. If there is a SC V2 along my route maybe I should be routed there and let the faster charging cars get the new SC stalls.
1) V3 locations have much better full power sharing. Where you plug in doesn't matter.
2) Supercharger locations don't have enough power for everybody to charge at 250kW.

If a site is so busy that you might think you'd hold others up, really, they wouldn't be getting a high charging rate anyway.

However, I do expect that you'd have a higher probability of being routed to a V2 just because it's more likely to be optimal for you.

Wondering if Tesla Navigation considers a vehicle max charge capacity when determining SC stops?
My '17S 75D peaks at ~130Kw so SC V 3 & 4 capability is lost on me and I will sit at a stall longer than a newer model.
If there is a SC V2 along my route maybe I should be routed there and let the faster charging cars get the new SC stalls.

The opposite would be a feature that would be nice to have, such as:

- Be able to have the Navigation selecting 250 kW chargers as first choice, instead of 150 kW and lower, unless this would not be possible.

- Have the charger map using a slightly different icon for each charger version or speed,
so the user could easily select the faster one, instead having to click on each icon to determine its speed or version.

Even when driving my old S, I’d prioritize v3 stations to eliminate the risk of sharing. If the v2 site was dead and I could guarantee the full 150kw, that’s all good - but I’m not about to be sitting around at 30-75kw for any period of time to be a good citizen and leave the “fast” chargers to someone else.