Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very odd steering wheel control button issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Video
This happened after I replaced the left side button assembly because of a broken scroll wheel. As you can see the right side scroll wheel and voice button do not work at all, bottom button does. But when I honk it activates the voice!? I opened it up, replace the entire right side button/scroll wheel module with a used one from eBay and the same thing happened. I tightened all the cable connections that I could see.
Did the clock spring somehow get damaged here? Or should I buy a whole airbag assembly and try swapping it out?

bump. I ordered a used airbag assembly, which includes the scroll buttons and associated trim. I suppose swapping that out will determine if the clock spring is bad. If it works then some wiring near the airbag assembly must have gone bad.

It's also possible Tesla changed the design at some point and the button codes moved around. Perhaps the left and right need to be a matched set (i.e. made about the same time). This is a total guess on my part as I don't have any information that says this was done.

Reactions: 2015-85
That’s actually very possible. I am getting the airbag in the mail soon but will try putting in the original set of steering wheel button modules first.
It's also possible Tesla changed the design at some point and the button codes moved around. Perhaps the left and right need to be a matched set (i.e. made about the same time). This is a total guess on my part as I don't have any information that says this was done.

Just curious if you’d have some insight—if I swap back the old steering wheel volume button assembly would I expect the voice button to start working immediately or would there be a delay?

Just an update: I repaired both the original left and right side steering wheel control modules with new scroll wheels and reinstalled them and now the voice button works (and NOT when I honk the horn). So these guys apparently need to be replaced in pairs only, unless I guess the software and hardware versions coincide. @vcor was correct in their guess.