Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration/ rattle in backseat area of 2023 model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have you tried microfibre cloths inbetween each and every gap?

Rattle sound travels - it might come from one place while you drive but it is actually coming from another place
from taking everything apart, the smaller piece that fits inside rattled by just tapping it, so i rolled up double sided tape and shoved it in every nook and crack until it stopped rattling, theres 2 pieces melted together in places and theres small gaps when you tap they touch, so once there was padding it stopped rattling when i tapped it, also the bigger piece has 2 melted pieces together, when i tapped that it rattled too, so i added double sided tape everywhere the 2 pieces touch, then i added the felt tape in the same places it showed in the video, assembled it together and played with it for a really long time, taking apart putting together and tapping it everywhere with my fingers until it made 0 noises when i tapped it, and placed it back into the door pillar. tapped the sides again and it rattles, but however when driving i dont hear it anymore. super frustrating, and i like how i did the passenger side better than i did the drivers side, but until i hear it again i wont be taking it apart again.

Attachments

• IMG_4330.jpeg
    IMG_4330.jpeg
    458.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4331.jpeg
    IMG_4331.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Informative
Reactions: XPsionic
My M3LR from Sep 2023 had this exact sound coming from the rear left side and after months of trying different fixes I've finally discovered the source. First I thought it was the B pillar seat belt fastener, then I thought it was the folding seat latch, I even checked the trunk rubber stoppers that some people mention that can cause the glass to make contact with the car body and vibrate. After applying a bunch of felt tape and stuff and test a lot this sound persisted.

TLDR its the upper C pillar trim. I know this because I took of this piece and went on the rough roads that always make the rattle appear and the car was dead quiet. My best guess is the push clip on the left side is spinning freely with a lot of play (in my case). I put some plumber thread tape to help but I think it isnt enough. Might end up going to the service center idk haven't decided
1713641565631.png

Reactions: Videomatic3
My M3LR from Sep 2023 had this exact sound coming from the rear left side and after months of trying different fixes I've finally discovered the source. First I thought it was the B pillar seat belt fastener, then I thought it was the folding seat latch, I even checked the trunk rubber stoppers that some people mention that can cause the glass to make contact with the car body and vibrate. After applying a bunch of felt tape and stuff and test a lot this sound persisted.

TLDR its the upper C pillar trim. I know this because I took of this piece and went on the rough roads that always make the rattle appear and the car was dead quiet. My best guess is the push clip on the left side is spinning freely with a lot of play (in my case). I put some plumber thread tape to help but I think it isnt enough. Might end up going to the service center idk haven't decided
View attachment 1040256
I'm so lost with finding rattles in my car, ill try almost anything now. How'd you remove the piece?

I also found a rattle in this piece by the feet on the front door, you get to it by removing a smaller piece above it by the dashboard, and I forgot how I did it after that, i think i removed the door rubber piece, I took out the wire harnesses by the baseboard too and added double sided tape over anywhere 2 pieces of plastic touch, and just by tapping that one panel I'm pointing at, it rattles by itself, shoving double sided tape where the piece rattles fixed it, but I shoved too much in and broke it, luckily it's on the inside and not noticeable. Still need to do the passenger side.

My dashboard rattles on the passenger side and driver side too now... maybe that's a call in to tesla fix, because I'm not sure I want to open that.

Attachments

• 20240420_140541.jpg
    20240420_140541.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 6
I'm so lost with finding rattles in my car, ill try almost anything now. How'd you remove the piece?

I also found a rattle in this piece by the feet on the front door, you get to it by removing a smaller piece above it by the dashboard, and I forgot how I did it after that, i think i removed the door rubber piece, I took out the wire harnesses by the baseboard too and added double sided tape over anywhere 2 pieces of plastic touch, and just by tapping that one panel I'm pointing at, it rattles by itself, shoving double sided tape where the piece rattles fixed it, but I shoved too much in and broke it, luckily it's on the inside and not noticeable. Still need to do the passenger side.

My dashboard rattles on the passenger side and driver side too now... maybe that's a call in to tesla fix, because I'm not sure I want to open that.
I looked at the official service manual (here) and a couple of youtube videos that mentioned that a simple pry tool is all you need. There are about 3 clips total that hold the whole piece. You start from the coat hanger side and move towards the trunk. In my case just undoing the first clip and pulling the piece away by and inch was enough to stop the rattle, so I'm pretty positive the source is very close the the coat hanger hook. If you attempt this, its important to note that there will be a stretchy cord connecting the piece to the body. The service page I linked says to ensure undoing that on the trim side and not the body side. The page has a video that helped me figure it out. Putting the cord back and reassembling everything was a pain though and thats why I'm thinking of just going to the SC

I looked at the official service manual (here) and a couple of youtube videos that mentioned that a simple pry tool is all you need. There are about 3 clips total that hold the whole piece. You start from the coat hanger side and move towards the trunk. In my case just undoing the first clip and pulling the piece away by and inch was enough to stop the rattle, so I'm pretty positive the source is very close the the coat hanger hook. If you attempt this, its important to note that there will be a stretchy cord connecting the piece to the body. The service page I linked says to ensure undoing that on the trim side and not the body side. The page has a video that helped me figure it out. Putting the cord back and reassembling everything was a pain though and thats why I'm thinking of just going to the SC
I took it apart and aside from the wire that does the window defrost and the piece I'm tapping on, the rest of the insides seem pretty solid, im adding a piece of felt on the plastic piece on the back, and maybe some double sided tape on the defrost wire and maybe it'll help. Can't upload the video it's too large gotta figure it out.

Also it seems like the straps holding the panel piece could be causing a rattle also, and I also put double sided tape around the inside of the 2 clips too. Because tapping the panel by itself they rattle.

Last edited:
I took it apart and aside from the wire that does the window defrost and the piece I'm tapping on, the rest of the insides seem pretty solid, im adding a piece of felt on the plastic piece on the back, and maybe some double sided tape on the defrost wire and maybe it'll help. Can't upload the video it's too large gotta figure it out.

Also it seems like the straps holding the panel piece could be causing a rattle also, and I also put double sided tape around the inside of the 2 clips too. Because tapping the panel by itself they rattle.
After weeks of trying stuff I think maybe I've managed to fix it. For me it was the second strap (closer to the trunk, the one made of hard plastic) that was causing it. I feel like the loose clip was a red herring. I used felt tape and plumber tape to kinda tighten up the clip but I would still occasionally hear the rattle. Its been two days now and I haven't heard anything so I'm hoping my latest fix did something. I basically took a bunch of paper towel and stuffed it right where the second strap is meeting the trim panel. I didn't take a picture but the idea is to stop any movement in the second cord/strap, so foam or some insulation etc. would do as well. This kinda also explains why I wouldn't hear any rattle if I pulled the trim panel off by an inch. I guess it prevents the panel to make contact with the chord during bumps and vibrations.

I will continue to monitor and observe. Hopefully this is the last time I have to deal with it.