Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Viewing Sentry clips on my computer - doesn't show the files correctly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys

After picking up my new Model 3 last week, someone squeezed past my car and a pilon in a carpark three days later and scratched the rear side of the car with their bag. Amazing how people really don't make any effort to be careful of people's cars.

Anyway... I can see the footage fine on the car screen (including the numberplate of the owner's car), but when I open up the files on my computer, they are not showing up correctly. Unfortuantely, even though there seem to be many files with different timestamps (all within a few minutes of the incident), the clips all seem to be the same... and they don't show the actual scraping of my car.
tesla-sentry-clips-file-view-png.978323

Can anyone suggest any other way to view these clips successfully, aside from just filming the car display with my phone?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Tesla Sentry clips - file view.png
    Tesla Sentry clips - file view.png
    452.7 KB · Views: 558
Hi guys

After picking up my new Model 3 last week, someone squeezed past my car and a pilon in a carpark three days later and scratched the rear side of the car with their bag. Amazing how people really don't make any effort to be careful of people's cars.

Anyway... I can see the footage fine on the car screen (including the numberplate of the owner's car), but when I open up the files on my computer, they are not showing up correctly. Unfortuantely, even though there seem to be many files with different timestamps (all within a few minutes of the incident), the clips all seem to be the same... and they don't show the actual scraping of my car.
tesla-sentry-clips-file-view-png.978323

Can anyone suggest any other way to view these clips successfully, aside from just filming the car display with my phone?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Mike
The footage you want may be in the Recent clips or Saved clips folder instead of Sentry (presuming you saw it in the car). If it is in Recent clips, the car may have deleted it, given it automatically deletes footage older than 1 hour in that folder. By default Tesla records 59 second clips, just that in the car player it seems continuous because it plays them back seamlessly.

If it was deleted, you can still recover it, using the process I mentioned here:
Dashcam in Auto

If you want instead to go back to your car to see, I would suggest copying the whole drive out first somewhere just in case. The car may immediately delete the clip you are interested in if it's past an hour (or if your drive was too full).

And this may be obvious. but make sure you actually tried playing the clips in question? The incident may be in one of those clips, just not in the thumbnail.

Last edited: