Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR or SR+. Im getting conflicting answers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im on the west coast and superchargers are decently plentiful. Aside from the pita of having to charge more often i haven't found anywhere im biting my nails...yet.
When I bought the M3, I lived in Laguna Niguel and commuted 70 miles to work. What I found was that even though I could charge to 85% maybe 90% of the 240, it was the miles I consumed for every kw mile that annoyed me. For instance, I kept a spreadsheet where I logged daily miles and kw miles for each trip to/from work. For every actual mile I drove, I consumed 1.4 to 1.6 kw miles (1.5 on average), that's what got me. So on average, If I drove 140 miles I would consume 210 kw miles. If I can only charge to, best case 90% of the 240 giving me 216 miles, I'd be pretty much tapped out when I got home. Therein was my range anxiety; unless I wanted to swoop into Westminster Mall and recharge it.

Is that true of all SRs regardless of year? Ive been charging to 80%. Mine is a 2020 and is not a LFP battery. I thought the 100% for SR was for LFP batteries?
What he's saying is your SR is software limited vs a SR+, they both physically have the 54kwh batteries, but the SR is only letting you charge up to around 80% of the capacity to cap you at 200ish miles range.

Therefore you could charge your software limited SR to 100%, and it'd effectively be the same as someone charging their SR+ to 80%.

Reactions: vickh
What he's saying is your SR is software limited vs a SR+, they both physically have the 54kwh batteries, but the SR is only letting you charge up to around 80% of the capacity to cap you at 200ish miles range.

Therefore you could charge your software limited SR to 100%, and it'd effectively be the same as someone charging their SR+ to 80%.

+1 Well put. This is why it was worth the discount. Only a problem for road trips and even then the highway difference is negligible if you plan SC stops.

For daily use it's the same as SR+ at 80%

Reactions: XPsionic
Is that true of all SRs regardless of year? Ive been charging to 80%. Mine is a 2020 and is not a LFP battery. I thought the 100% for SR was for LFP batteries?
The SR was a software limited version of the SR+.

In the US, LFP batteries started showing up in SR+ in late 2021 (most 2021 SR+ had NCA batteries). All 2022 and later SR+ (renamed to be just RWD) have LFP batteries. By the time LFP batteries became available in the US, the SR (not +) was no longer available.

The SR was a software limited version of the SR+.

In the US, LFP batteries started showing up in SR+ in late 2021 (most 2021 SR+ had NCA batteries). All 2022 and later SR+ (renamed to be just RWD) have LFP batteries. By the time LFP batteries became available in the US, the SR (not +) was no longer available.

I guess my question is better phrased, with my model year SR can/should i be charging to 100% nightly or should i limit it to 80% unless im going on a trip where i need the range?