Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volvo Car Company - what's your view/opinion?

What's your opinion about Volvo?

• Next best thing after Tesla

• meh...

• Volvo?

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Like everyone else here, I'm a huge Tesla fan... my main reasons are that I like a clean world and innovation.

I'm from Sweden and I work at Volvo Cars, been working here for like 10 years or so in different positions. In the grand scheme of things, Volvo is a small company, I think we've sold ~8000 cars in the US this year :D. But the company is growing, and I see a bright future ahead with the XC90, XC60, V90 and S90.

I'm curious of how Volvo and its cars are viewed by the rest of the world. So if you have some opinions, please share them.

Hello,

Like everyone else here, I'm a huge Tesla fan... my main reasons are that I like a clean world and innovation.

I'm from Sweden and I work at Volvo Cars, been working here for like 10 years or so in different positions. In the grand scheme of things, Volvo is a small company, I think we've sold ~8000 cars in the US this year :D. But the company is growing, and I see a bright future ahead with the XC90, XC60, V90 and S90.

I'm curious of how Volvo and its cars are viewed by the rest of the world. So if you have some opinions, please share them.
I waited for the V60 plug-in hybrid for years but it was never offered in the US. I then waited years for the XC90 T8 but when I found out how much (or how little) range it had on battery, I gave up and immediately put a deposit on the X. (I later canceled my X reservation and ordered an S.)

If Volvo had an AWD electric vehicle and access to a fast charging network (such as Tesla's Supercharger network), I would order one...with Overseas Delivery, of course!

As a young family years ago we purchased a Volvo Turbo and absolutely loved it. When my son reached driving age the 'Golden Chariot' became his to drive. We always felt it was the safest car for him at the time and we still believe they rank right up there at the top. We have visited the LA Auto Show for the last several years and still believe Volvo has the best seats, both front and back, of all the brands out there. There are a few dashboard configs we don't necessarily like but those would not stop us from purchasing one in the future should they electrify their line. Basically, you work for what appears to be an excellent company and you should be proud of what you produce.

Volvo's said that by 2019 there will be two all electric vehicles on the market. Probably gonna be the new versions V40 (30 km, 190 miles) and XC60 (500 km, 310 miles). I hope that I used the converters correctly :D

But we will use a differently technology than the lithium-ion batteri AFAIK. Don't know if that's a good or bad idea.

I have great regard for the exterior and interior design of Volvo cars because they are both beautiful and functional. They have more character IMO than the BMW and Mercedes that are more typical in my location of the USA. Reputation for higher maintenance cost relative to more mainstream brands like Honda and Toyota is probably one reason Volvo sells in smaller numbers here.

Hello,

Actually, it looks like Volvo sold 72,500 cars so far this year. Tesla is hoping to reach 80,000 this year.
About Volvo - Sales Volumes - Volvo Car USA Newsroom

Volvo should be priced like Buick or Acura.

Not Mercedes or BMW.

Now we have Chinese owned Volvo producing the $47k S90 exclusively in China?

And the $34k S60 is also built in China?

I don't know enough about Buick and Acura. But don't underrate the new Volvo cars (S90, V90 and XC90). Great cars IMO, and that's coming from someone who didn't like Volvo before these cars. I dislike the S60 and S80, not a big fan of the V60 either, even though it seems to have some fans in this thread. I think we've hit premium at last. :D

Yes, the S90 will be built exclusively in China.

Actually, it looks like Volvo sold 72,500 cars so far this year. Tesla is hoping to reach 80,000 this year.
About Volvo - Sales Volumes - Volvo Car USA Newsroom

Apologies, I forgot a 0. I meant ~80 000.

---

To talk about Tesla a little bit, it's amazing that we're going from 80000 this year to 500000 in 2018 (or 2019?). And at the same time, it's worrying to me, it's a BIG jump. New (automated) factories will help a lot, but I still think we'll see many bumps on the road.

We have a 2011 1/2 XC60 with all the bell and whistles including adaptive cruise control and Blind Spot warning system.
This vehicle has been 100% reliable other than icing of the front radar in the snow.
The BLIS system is near perfect.
69,000 miles, no squeaks or rattles. On second set of tires.
Everything else is original other than wiper blades.
A very nice SUV. Powerful with the turbocharged 6.
Averaging about 22.5 miles per gallon.
It is an R-design version with custom factory blonde wood console.
A keeper.

I think if you compare similarly equipped cars (s60 versus 3 series, for example), a BMW will be significantly more expensive than a volvo.

Volvo's are front wheel drive or FWD biased all wheel drive.

While BMWs are rear wheel drive or RWD biased all wheel drive.

So they are never really "similarly equipped."

BMWs simply have superior handling.

That is also why I never considered Audi.

Now, I have ditched the European brands forever :)

Well, when I was a little younger, it interested me that Volvo was using "safest car in the world" as advertising. But according to the insurance companies, the safest car in Sweden was... Saab.

Also interesting is that the logo on the front of the car is the symbol for "male" (♂, the circle with the arrow pointing to one o'clock). So, it's a male? or is it a chick magnet?

Other than that, it's just another car, like hundreds of others, nothing to distinguish it from other gas cars than maybe "great seats", which is a lot of opinion. If they had come out with a serious electric FIRST, instead of following several years behind, it might have been nice.

Reactions: Jaff
Volvo is the brand that Ford let go off to stay afloat. In Chinese hands (!), it not only managed to stay on the foreground with keen designs like the Volvo V40 (not available in the U.S. I believe) that proved to be a huge success, but also with near-autonomous driving technology. There's a reason that Uber is experimenting with the XC-90. Still, they'd better invest in smaller 'transportation devices' too. Because there's the real future IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbcarioca
I worked at a Volvo dealership in operations for my career and they were very reliable but to me lacked in exterior design. At the time they were the safest car and were the first manufacturer to pioneer the 3 point seat belt, but not sure how you can compare them to Tesla.

I've had several Volvos over the years (along with a couple of classic SAABs - being true to my Swedish roots!) Volvos are lovely cars for comfort and safety, though not quite as dynamic as some of the German brands. The interiors of the current range are truly beautiful, and Volvo was on the short list at the time of ordering my soon to arrive Tesla (it was between Volvo, Jaguar and Tesla).