Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volvo: No new diesel engine development, electric focus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The costs for cleaning up a Diesel can only rise with the more stringent emissions standards coming under greater scrutiny, although BMW has recently reiterated their dedication to the technology, especially in combination with bigger, upmarket vehicles.

Jeff Dahn, the renowned battery scientist working with Tesla, recently stated there were around 300 PhD's [!!!] working on improving LiIon battery tech at the Chinese ATL corp. alone. [ The source video is now private ]

Did Volvo diesels ever sell well? I'm sure they made some for western Europe, but this announcement doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice. I am looking forward to a mid price EV from Volvo. The $50K-$70K EV market should get very interesting in a couple of years. I include the model 3 in that range.

Cummins perfected their 5.9L 6 cylinder diesel in 1994 by adding a turbocharger as standard equipment. Since then what significant improvements have been made to the diesel concept? Ok, Cummins went to 24 valve and moved the injector to top dead center in 1998. Also removed the mechanical injection pump and made this electronic which gave them much easier control of the combustion process. But how to progress further? After burners could be added to the exhaust stream and a Dyson HEPA auto-rotating filter as well. Electric is now the way to go, think electric locomotive and electric trolly, if you are looking to do real work hauling big loads.
--