Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vomit smell when starting air conditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the past couple weeks, my air conditioning smells terrible (like vomit) for a few minutes, then eventually goes away. I checked my frunk to make sure nothing was left there, but cannot figure out why this is happening. The smell seems to be more and more noticeable recently.
Does anyone else have this issue?

For the past couple weeks, my air conditioning smells terrible (like vomit) for a few minutes, then eventually goes away. I checked my frunk to make sure nothing was left there, but cannot figure out why this is happening. The smell seems to be more and more noticeable recently.
Does anyone else have this issue?

Your AC condenser drain line is plugged and has mold growing in it. There are several threads in this forum that explain how to quickly clean this so you can enjoy breathing “vomit” smelling free air, and cold vomit smelling free air at that. :p

Your AC condenser drain line is plugged and has mold growing in it. There are several threads in this forum that explain how to quickly clean this so you can enjoy breathing “vomit” smelling free air, and cold vomit smelling free air at that. :p
Can you point to a solution that continues to work? I’ve read a lot of cleaning and filter replacement attempts but the problem comes right back.

My car developed a bit of an odor at 20,000 miles. Mobile service changed the cabin filters and it went away and hasn’t returned.
As a precaution I replaced the filters myself this week at 40,000 miles. There are two filters. One on top and one on bottom. The filter on right is the old one from the bottom, and the one on left is new. You can see the old filter is already pretty dirty. The top filter still looked good but I replaced it anyway.

4B3BFE9E-C136-4D4B-AC8E-72F62AF992E2.jpeg

My car developed a bit of an odor at 20,000 miles. Mobile service changed the cabin filters and it went away and hasn’t returned.
As a precaution I replaced the filters myself this week at 40,000 miles. There are two filters. One on top and one on bottom. The filter on right is the old one from the bottom, and the one on left is new. You can see the old filter is already pretty dirty. The top filter still looked good but I replaced it anyway.

View attachment 432256

What do the filters cost? Tesla, or knock-off?