Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vomit smell when starting air conditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've heard helps (at least in other cars) is to turn off the air conditioning a few minutes before parking. Helps keep the condensation from sitting in the system.

turn off the air conditioning but leave fan on recirculate right? Side note I can feel my compressor vibration/thud as it shuts down in the car. Is that normal?

Mobile tech did say they could do a free fix (probably replace filter or spray like OP) b/f 12K miles/1 yr. I think I'll wait out the summer to get the most of replacement.

Last edited:
For the past couple weeks, my air conditioning smells terrible (like vomit) for a few minutes, then eventually goes away. I checked my frunk to make sure nothing was left there, but cannot figure out why this is happening. The smell seems to be more and more noticeable recently.
Does anyone else have this issue?

That happens to a lot of cars -- I leave the a/c off for a few days and it usually fixes itself -- that's my ICE vehicle. I know it's annoying -- especially on hot days.