Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW XL1 or Model S

VW XL1 or Model S

• XL1

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Model S

Votes: 35 97.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dont get me wrong i like the XL1 but "barely enough space to seat two and a 12.7-second 0-to-60 mph time that makes a Prius seem like a Porsche." for 100,000 Eur is not a good idea. The claimed fuel economy is 260 mpg-US and emissions of 21 g/km of CO2. The test cycle allows for a re-charge of the battery every 75 km (47 mi) which results in a high mpg value. Using diesel alone the car is capable of up to 120 mpg-US. The car has an EV range of 31 miles which is disappointing to say the least.

The whole point of efficiency is to make an EV use a smaller battery to become cheaper, throw that diesel engine out and put in a good battery.
If they could make this car reasonably priced for the performance and just put in a 30 kwh battery EV only it would be excellent since it has a very low energy consumption per mile (100wh/mile on hwy).

If the wired story is correct concerning the price (BTW, €100k ~ $130k), than VW has furthermore shown they have no interest in bringing affordable EV's to the market. 250 XL1's is just greenwashing!
I seriously doubt we'll see the VW Golf EV anytime soon either or maybe at a ludicrous price like €10-15k above the Nissan Leaf.

While the Model S is definitely the better car, there is just something very appealing about the ability to go 700 miles on $10 of diesel. The XL1 is the PHEV GM should have built while they were developing a real EV.

Actually, not only does the Model S blow the XL1 away, the Volt or Ampera do as well. They are quicker, have more room inside and more EV range. They also are more affordable. The XL1 is much more efficient driving in range extender mode, but how often does that happen? Not often at all in my experience.

GSP

Last edited:
-electric-only mode it will travel "up to" 31 miles (i'm sorry, is this an EV improvement or a step backwards?)
-
featherweight 1,749 pounds (if I were driving this car, I would not even want to be hit by a golf cart)
- laughable
89 torque (i think leaning back in my desk chair has more torque than that)
- 0 to
62 mph in 12.7 seconds (I think I can run faster than that)
-
tires as thin as a motorbike's (then i'd rather actually drive a motorbike)
- sounds like "
lumpy putterings of a lawnmower" (then i'd rather actually drive a lawnmower)

if you gave me the car for free, and paid me to drive it, I still wouldn't.

A car that can travel long distances but carry only 2 people and no luggage is not very useful.
I need the full passenger capacity and cargo capacity of my Model S regularly - multiple times per week.
I have never needed my range extended, but I can imagine eventually I will take a long trip that is impacted by its EV range a couple of times per year.
I know there are many people who like to take long trips and need a long range car, but I would think very few of them take no luggage and only 1 passenger.

The VW XL1 is a useless toy that is lacking the fun you want from a toy.

Actually, not only does the Model S blow the XL1 away, the Volt or Ampera do as well. They are quicker, have more room inside and more EV range. They also are more affordable. The XL1 is much more efficient driving in range extender mode, but how often does that happen? Not often at all in my experience.

HSO

It's also going to be much more efficient driving in battery mode. I just really like the form factor of a car that is so light it can do away with power steering. I also like the idea of being able to get one 55 gallon drum of waste cooking oil from a restaurant, convert it to biodiesel and being able to drive my car on it for a year. If you run out of fuel, you can go into a restaurant and buy a gallon of fuel from the cook that is good for another 260 miles. If you're going on a longer trip you can put a 1000 extra miles on the passenger seat.

I'm not saying that it is a better car than the Model S, but in a future where extremely fast electric cars will be ubiquitous and transmissions won't exist, this car would be a good way to reminisce about the good parts of our internal combustion engined past.

I really wish the Aptera had not been killed. It would have made an even better car than this. I'm disappointed because I can't see Tesla making a hyper-efficient two seater for at least a decade, if ever.

Last edited: