Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait! All Model 3 RWD LR will increase to 325 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, missed that, thanks. Unfortunately it’s not definitive about what they’ve actually done to get the LRR to 325 now. It just says what they’ve done in the past.

I’ll still suggest that if they’ve done anything, it’s making 75kWh usable across all LR cars.

So do you think if you order a LR today it would have the same size battery as one from 2018?

Ingineerix YouTubes have shown that new M3s have about a 77.5 kwh battery that was expected to degrade a few percent the first six months. That degradation might not be occuring.

When you say "new" Model 3's, does that imply Ingineerix says he has detected a difference between later build Model 3's and earlier build Model 3's or simply that when the pack is new, he has measured it to contain about 77.5 kWh?

I guess you didn't read what Elon actually said:

"...we are able to improve the efficiency of say of the drive inverter or the motor or we get a bit more comfortable with what how much energy you can extract safely from the battery pack without causing it long term harm."

If you reprogram the drive inverter to increase the efficiency then you can increase the range without increasing the useable capacity of the battery pack. The fact that they are increasing the power by 5% at the same time leads me to believe they figured out a way to drive the inverter more efficiently both under high loads and regular loads. That would translate to a range increase as well as a power increase, potentially without drawing any harder from the battery.
Yes, it is possible that Tesla can increase the efficiency of things like the inverter in software. However, there is no evidence that they have actually done it or will do it for this specific stated range increase.

The other thing that is relevant to this discussion is that the EPA FuelEconomy.gov web site does have a LR RWD entry for 2019. That configuration of the car was not orderable on the Tesla web site in 2019 until the SR release last week. The figures are exactly the same between 2018 and 2019. You would think that if Tesla was actually going to increase the efficiency for 2019 that they would tell the EPA to hold back the 2019 figures until it was retested so that they could show the increased MPGe and improved kWh/100 miles figures in the 2019 listing. To me, this is further evidence that there is no substantive change and they are just changing the range constant in the software to get the 325 mile figure.

In addition, any efficiency improvement could be equally applied to the MR version of the car, yet it isn't.

Yes, it is possible that Tesla can increase the efficiency of things like the inverter in software. However, there is no evidence that they have actually done it or will do it for this specific stated range increase.

The other thing that is relevant to this discussion is that the EPA FuelEconomy.gov web site does have a LR RWD entry for 2019. That configuration of the car was not orderable on the Tesla web site in 2019 until the SR release last week. The figures are exactly the same between 2018 and 2019. You would think that if Tesla was actually going to increase the efficiency for 2019 that they would tell the EPA to hold back the 2019 figures until it was retested so that they could show the increased MPGe and improved kWh/100 miles figures in the 2019 listing. To me, this is further evidence that there is no substantive change and they are just changing the range constant in the software to get the 325 mile figure.

In addition, any efficiency improvement could be equally applied to the MR version of the car, yet it isn't.

You said, "If they don't open up the usable capacity, you won't be able to actually drive further."

I accurately pointed out there are other ways to achieve that. You have said a lot of words for nothing.