Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait....Powerwall can be your meter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn comedians!!!

I find this intriguing though. Thinking about micro-grid scenarios in PR/USVI. Tesla could install and fully manage small private microgrids and theoretically run all the metering and demand/supply response through interconnected Powerwalls? In other words, 2 or 3 years from now large homeowners in the Caribbean could link together into a 99.9% off-grid cooperative 100% solar+battery energy system for about $25k each? Pretty crazy to think the all hardware already exists entirely within the Tesla Energy offering.

Damn comedians!!!

I find this intriguing though. Thinking about micro-grid scenarios in PR/USVI. Tesla could install and fully manage small private microgrids and theoretically run all the metering and demand/supply response through interconnected Powerwalls? In other words, 2 or 3 years from now large homeowners in the Caribbean could link together into a 99.9% off-grid cooperative 100% solar+battery energy system for about $25k each? Pretty crazy to think the all hardware already exists entirely within the Tesla Energy offering.
Sorry man couldn’t resist. So help me understand. Will solar plus a Powewall potentially give you a zero electric bill for your own home with power available at night? What size of an install on PR or USVI would be needed to create a micro grid. I find the idea that you are presenting fascinating.

Sorry man couldn’t resist. So help me understand. Will solar plus a Powewall potentially give you a zero electric bill for your own home with power available at night? What size of an install on PR or USVI would be needed to create a micro grid. I find the idea that you are presenting fascinating.
I already have a zero power bill with power available at night with GMP....(other than the mortgage on the 10kW array, approx $120/month.) My house is all electric. Actually, the zero power bill isn't the case anymore since I got the 3. Time for more panels.

I already have a zero power bill with power available at night with GMP....(other than the mortgage on the 10kW array, approx $120/month.) My house is all electric. Actually, the zero power bill isn't the case anymore since I got the 3. Time for more panels.
Very cool. My wife is from Brattleboro and at some point we will make the trip up from Wareham MA probably this summer to see her parents. I know there is a Supercharger there and at some point I’ll do ABRP to see what the trip up and back looks like. Her car is a Volvo so if I’m too fraidy scared we can always take hers. It would be my first road trip. I used to sell solar for Vivint before I retired and had a survey done.. not enough sun.

So help me understand. Will solar plus a Powewall potentially give you a zero electric bill for your own home with power available at night? What size of an install on PR or USVI would be needed to create a micro grid. I find the idea that you are presenting fascinating.

Houses in PR/USVI are hit with absurd amounts of sunlight and have relatively few long stretches of truly cloud-covered days. Their electric rates are also so high($.15-$.33/kWh) that overbuilding solar and Powerwalls is relatively affordable. So yes, in this application you can certainly run entirely off grid in PR/USVI if you wanted to.

The thing I found interesting was this idea that the Powerwall itself can be the only thing between your house and the grid. No third party utility meter is even required. To me that means villa owners on certain islands could cobble themselves together in micro-grids installed and managed entirely by Tesla and a local third party solar installer. So long as utility regulations allow them to feed back to and pull from the wider grid in some set fashion, it's doable right now and would save them about 50% on their electric bills.

Kind of a big market.

Reactions: Castlerock