Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting to get rear ended.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like I am being tailgated in my Model 3 compared to my other cars, but I am pretty sure it is an optical illusion. The trunk is really high in the rearview, compared to my old Mazda 3 and my wife Hyundai Sante Fe Sport. When I turn on the rear camera view it kinda confirms my suspicion. Objects in the rear view are further away than they appear.

Reactions: ZoomsansVroom
I haven't noticed any difference compared to other cars I've owned. Teslas are fairly common around here, so there is no reason for "gawking" at the car either. I used to get more looks when I had one of the few around, but those days are past now. I see more and more M3s running town. I wish there was a way to tell which configuration they were from a distance, but the P is the only one you can see easily (because of the fin.) I've only seen one of those.

my wife complains about this a lot when she's behind a tesla and I see it all the time.

With our cars, we can gradually slow the car down within a short period without the brake lights kicking on. For example, you're at 40 mph and you gradually use the accelerator to decelerating to 35 mph.

can't really do that in an ICE without riding the brakes or let the car coast for awhile. if the person behind you is 1-2 car lengths behind, it's hard to visually see our cars slowing down since no brake lights are kicking on to alert them.

as a poster said earlier, there's that threshold before the brake lights kick on. the only way really to adjust this is have the brake lights come on with ANY slow down or maybe lower that threshold more. i dunno if that's a good solution either since it'll look like we're riding the brakes alot.