Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting to get rear ended.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got 1100 miles on my M3 since I bought it, and I’ve driven it on all types of roads.

I feel like I’m just waiting to get rear ended in this car. I’ve driven and owned SUV’s jeeps, cars and trucks, and it’s never been this bad.

Vehicles keep tailgating me and nearly rear ending me. Since it’s a new car, I was thinking it was because the brake lights didn’t come on with regenerative braking, but I was wrong about that. Today someone honked and went around me after I properly used my turn signal to turn into a gas station. (To buy snacks, of course)

What’s the deal? Why is everyone trying to rear end me?

Why is everyone trying to rear end me?
I find it difficult to envision that other drivers are now following you significantly more closer than what you experienced in other cars you have owned.

I can assure you that when you lift off the accelerator pedal your brake lights do come on even though you are not pressing on the brake pedal.

Are you driving slow in the passing lane?
Ha! Never! That’s the worst. I’m talking about even when on a country road, with slow traffic in front of me, so it’s not even my fault traffic is only doing the speed limit, yet it just seems like I’m getting tailgated more. Maybe it’s just because I keep seeing all these threads on here titled “got rear ended today” so I’m noticing everyone tailgating now.

It doesn't explain the tailgating, but the Model 3 has tiny brake "lights" on each side (surrounded by the tail light), which are a bit unconventional, and people following you may not be seeing the lights clearly. The center high mount brake light should be getting the job done, though.

With the more recent software versions with the bigger Model 3 on screen you have a visual of whether your brake lights are on. Even when the car is smaller in traffic you can tell. Nice update and we probably all have wanted to know if our brake lights were on at one time or another as you were slowing down.

I have noticed the trend with LED light on cars to minimalize the lighted area that gets lit. May be brighter but I wonder how that works in snowy areas.

What car did you drive before? The view out the back is higher than your average vehicle, so you see less of the car behind you. The perspective makes you think they're closer to you than in your old vehicle, when in fact, they're just as far back as before, but you need to adjust to the new perspective.

This! Rearward visibility is pretty bad on the Model 3 and is my biggest gripe. With previous cars I knew I was being followed closely when I couldn't see the headlights of the car behind. Now I basically never see headlights and it's hard to judge how can closely I'm by being followed. I had a Porsche behind me once and could barely see his roof when stopped at traffic lights.

Early on I adjusted my seat higher to try to get a better view out the back even though I like to sit low for the sportier feel.

Using the camera doesn't help much because the wide angle has the opposite effect and makes cars look farther away.