Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away locking is supposed to exclude my home but the car still locks in my garage!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I made sure I have my home address set as “Home” on both of our Teslas and checked the box to exclude our home for walk away locking. Our 2016 Tesla works like a champ and is always unlocked in our garage but our new Model Y locks in the garage. I have tried rebooting the app and triple-checked car settings. Nothing helps.

I have read about faulty driver seat sensors but thought that was related to the car not “walk away locking.” My walk away locks fine, but it shouldn’t do it at home.

Any ideas?

I had a similar issue, and it turned out that I didn’t set up the Home address and the lock options on the profile that was associated with the access device (phone or key card) I was using. Once I made sure that the lock options were set correctly in each profile, I went into the Lock screen in Settings and made sure that the correct profiles were associated with each access device. All is working fine now.

I had this issue with my new Model S. Turns out that there are two places that you have to set "Exclude Home". Settings>Safety at the top of the screen you choose to "exclude home" (and/or work and/or favorites) for the security system. Then scroll down to the section on walk away locking and there is a second place to select "exclude home". Not entirely obvious and sort of a poor layout of options on that screen (IMHO). After finding the second place to choose "exclude home" the car works exactly as intended.

Re-upping this thread. Anyone have this issue lately, where the doors lock at home? I've done everything suggested by others, reset my Home location, made sure "Exclude Home" is set in Safety as well as in the Locks sections, for all driver profiles. It's still locking at Home. Only change is that I've got a new iPhone 15 Pro with iOS 17, but everything has been working fine for a week - issue just started yesterday. Thx

Re-upping this thread. Anyone have this issue lately, where the doors lock at home? I've done everything suggested by others, reset my Home location, made sure "Exclude Home" is set in Safety as well as in the Locks sections, for all driver profiles. It's still locking at Home. Only change is that I've got a new iPhone 15 Pro with iOS 17, but everything has been working fine for a week - issue just started yesterday. Thx
did you load the recent IOS 17.03??? that fixed a lot of connectivity bugs with 17

Reactions: Ampster
I had this issue with my new Model S. Turns out that there are two places that you have to set "Exclude Home". Settings>Safety at the top of the screen you choose to "exclude home" (and/or work and/or favorites) for the security system. Then scroll down to the section on walk away locking and there is a second place to select "exclude home". Not entirely obvious and sort of a poor layout of options on that screen (IMHO). After finding the second place to choose "exclude home" the car works exactly as intended.
These are different features and shouldn't have to be grouped together. I, personally don't wanna leave my vehicle unlocked in my garage. But I DO want sentry disabled in my garage. That's the whole point of having 2 separate controls.

My issue is that my sentry is not disabling at home, even though exclude home is checked. It seemed to happen most frequently after my wife drove the car, so I double checked the settings when her profile is selected and again, exclude home is selected.

Reactions: Meagain