Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger DIY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've watched videos and it doesn't seem very difficult to install the Tesla Wall Charger in my home. However, I would think that Tesla would insist upon a licensed electrician for any kind of warranty claim, etc. Thoughts?

Secondly, should I consider some of the independent brand of chargers? My inclination is to stick with Tesla.

Hope that this is not too little or too late,, but:

I live in a small town in TN. Contacted the city electrical department and asked about local code and installation requirements. Response was .... check with other Tesla owners...duh...

So I went to Home Depot, bought a 40A, 220V breaker and did it myself. I did look at the YT videos and found that they were mostly correct. I would suggest though that if you have never worked in a breaker panel, you should get some help.

Re other wall chargers, I stuck with Tesla to avoid any problems and the price was competitive.

No problems so far. Good luck!

Upvote 0
I've watched videos and it doesn't seem very difficult to install the Tesla Wall Charger in my home. However, I would think that Tesla would insist upon a licensed electrician for any kind of warranty claim, etc. Thoughts?

Secondly, should I consider some of the independent brand of chargers? My inclination is to stick with Tesla.
Stick with the Tesla wall charger. There isn’t much savings going with a 3rd party charger and you’ll loose some features.

Installing a wall charger yourself is pretty simple. Make sure you buy the correct, or larger wire for your breaker size. I did mine in an afternoon including a 50’ pull from the main breaker panel to the charger in 1” conduit. Do the math making sure you’re not over subscribing the breaker panel. I’m a chicken and turned off power to the entire house during installation. Based on some of the licensed electrician horror stories I read on this forum, I’m more than happy with my DIY project.

Upvote 0