Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a Tesla wall charger Gen 3 for my m3 next month. My concern is that I am curently renting (till moving to my own house in a years time), If I install and the wall charger will I be able to remove it/take it with me after I move out?
well it's never worth installing wall charger at rental... installation costs around $1100 and makes changes to surroundings. technically same cost to remove it when leaving plus fixing wall or something...
almost $2000-2500 for year's wall charger use is bit heavy - only worth if you are a heavy user and need to fully charge car every night from lowest to full.

If I was you, I would calculate my usage now, calculate outside paid charging cost over month, and if total is anywhere over $3000-3500 then only think about installing the wall charger. anything less is all trouble of installation - removal - dealing with landlord for nothing.

Alternatively, you can check with landlord if they are happy to pay for wall charger when you vacate property... means only paying for installation and not removal, making it more practical to have for a year.

unless you are a kind person leaving it behind for next tenant to use for free... still saves you on removal etc. but still needs confirmation from landlord.

Sorry, no easy answer, but hopefully this will give you some ideas.

PS: I spend some $29/month on charging at home... 13000KM in 10 months... if charging outside it would be 6 times more, approx. $180/month... still saving as $29/month would have cost me $489 plus with petrol. I pay $0.08/unit and $29 gives me 1300KM (all except unit charge approximated), this should help you with calculation.

Reactions: CAM3RON
Upvote 0
You'd have to make the wiring safe when you move out after disconnecting the wall charger, which shouldn't be as expensive as the install
That would probably mean fitting a box were the wall charger was and terminating the cables inside that box
and the landlord would have to agree
It should be a plus to the landlord, already wired for the next EV tenant just BYO wall charger

I guess you could use the wall charger as a expensive UMC by having it wired to a plug
and setting the current low and plug it into a wall socket, not sure if that's legal you'd need to check with a sparky on that

Upvote 0