Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Tripping AFCI's on Other Circuits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use a non GFCI breaker
I'm not sure if u mean for WC or for the tripping circuit...
My WC is non GFCI
Half of my house breakers are GFCI, i'm assuming its the new code (2018 house)

Anyhow, small update on my tripping issue: i replaced the bad kitchen breaker since it wasn't resetting until complete unplugged from panel, so clearly bad.
I haven't had anything trip yet since then but i also changed my charging schedule so my car is done charging before i get up...
I'll try some more testing at some point with same conditions as before n report back...

I have not had one trip breaker since I changed to the non GFCI breaker. It’s now clear to me the car chargers send a check signal thru the ground side, witch the GFCI sees as a fault. The chargers need to be redesigned or they can only be used with a non GFCI breaker.
R

I really appreciate this thread. My kitchen ceiling lights are blinking in the mornings after the car finishes charging overnight over the past 1-2 weeks ... 3-4 months after completion of a big remodel. Also, 1-2 of my new kitchen AFCI breakers, on a subpanel installed during that remodel, nuisance trips too sometimes during these mornings too.

I thought a fire was going to eventually start and complained to the remodeler.

During a support chat w Tesla in the middle of a solar installation process (and new electrical panel upgrade), this thread was sent to the team by me. The feedback? The new electrical panel, required part of the solar install, will help the kitchen lights + tripping issue on my 1950s built home.