Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector gen3 trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently started having trouble with my Tesla and my gen3 wall connector. It was working fine for the last year+, but recently started to trip off when connected to my Model Y. When plugged in it just says "Charging equipment communication lost". Looking at the wall charger it trips quickly, but all the connections were tightened and the values are here:

L1 to L2/N: 213.3V
L1 to Earth: 98.3V
L2/N to Earth: 118.8V
Ground connected

Does that look correct?

The order of events:
1. Plug in car, get message below on screen
2. WC trips, but resets - like no red lights, just goes from Blue (waiting to charge) to off, then 3 greens (40amps on a 50amp circuit), then blinks top green (broadcasting SSID)
3. Doesn't fully charge, just sits there.

Thanks for any help!

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

Just a follow up:

It turns out the line was fried to my breaker (also my breaker was bad). The line run to my 50amp breaker was either 6 gauge or 8 gauge. I don't remember which, but the run is quite long (length of my house, maybe 30 - 50 ft? I'm bad at estimating). In any case the gauge of wire was probably too thin for the length + load. I had an Electrician (specializes in EVSE) come out and we stepped it down to a 40amp breaker for the wiring (we clipped the burnt pieces and the rest is fine - glad my panel and house are OK!).

In any case, I also had another gen 3 power wall setup for our other EV.

Attachments

• IMG_3258.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20230820_031621302.jpg
    PXL_20230820_031621302.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 32