Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector installation with 240V in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I visit my relatives in Sydney, Australia. Their son has a Tesla, with a Wall Connector, not installed yet.
All electrical outlets here are 240V AC between Hot and Neutral.
I am wondering if wiring the main panel to Tesla Wall Connector can be done as below:
1) add a single pole breaker 60A or 50A
2) connect panel HOT 240V to L1 in the Wall Connector
3) connect panel NEUTRAL to L2
4) connect panel GND to GND
The Wall Connector sees 240V AC single phase. So this would work.
Please let me know if this is correct or if it has something not right.
I have no intent to do this work here, just want to get infos so a local electrician can follow and do a good job.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Hand the electrician the installation manual that came with the wall connector. If it's no longer available, then print it out from Tesla's web site. That should tell him everything he needs to install the unit in accordance with local electrical codes.

Please let me know if this is correct or if it has something not right.
Well, they have the Australia version of the wall connector, so the wiring inside is a little different, since it has the Type 2 plug and the ability to wire for either single phase circuit or three phase. So the wording of the instructions will be slightly different. Here is the link to the manual for the Australia version wall connector.

Page 11 is the wiring instructions. First line goes to L1. L2 and L3 would be left open. N is for the other wire of neutral. And then they refer to ground as PE (protective earth).

Well, they have the Australia version of the wall connector, so the wiring inside is a little different, since it has the Type 2 plug and the ability to wire for either single phase circuit or three phase
Thanks for this useful information. After a few days, I saw that my nephew is using the Mobile Connector connected to a normal 240V, 10A outlet. To avoid spending 1400 Aud dollars to install the Wall Connector with new wiring , his dad plan to replace the breaker for this outlet to an 20A breaker, and also this particular outlet !!! I told him not to do that as the existing wiring was for 10A, running 20A could cause the wires to burn. 1400 Aud dollars (less than 1000 US$) is quite cheap considering the main panel and the garage is at two opposite corners of the house, requiring long wires.

his dad plan to replace the breaker for this outlet to an 20A breaker, and also this particular outlet !!! I told him not to do that as the existing wiring was for 10A, running 20A could cause the wires to burn.
Whoa, yeah, have to make sure not to go over the capacity of the wires. But really, if you have convenient at home charging, that's the vast majority of the benefit, and it will generally do fine. People overrate needing really high capacity circuits.

The Australian version of the Tesla Mobile Connector was originally supplied with both 10A and 15A plug tails. If the wiring can support a 15A socket, that will give a notably faster charge than the standard 10A outlet without upgrading all the way to a 3 phase Wall Connector.

Good charging reference for Australia: