Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to update to v9 but no wifi in my parking garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That does not square with my experience of needing to have a decent wi-fi connection to successfully install and update.

I've installed multiple updates on our Model S while parked deep in a garage that blocked connectivity of any kind. We've also installed two updates on our Model 3 which has never been on any WiFi network (sadly its parking spot in the condo garage is just around a corner where it can't see our network, so we've never been able to connect at all, but it still gets decent LTE coverage.)

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Thanks; others have mentioned the same thing.
So either:
my experience was an anomaly;
Tesla has changed how it does things;
Model 3 is different;
or YMMV

There is also one thing different with V9... is that after you got V9, if you have EAP, you will need to calibrate your other cameras. After those are calibrated, it will need to download a pretty big updated to the maps.. not as huge as the previous 8GB size.. but still not small. Maybe that's why you were told that it needs WiFi for the update.

... I'm told by Tesla it was because of an inadequate Wi-Fi connection...

I recall when my Prius was new. The people at the Toyota dealership, including the salesguy, were completely ignorant about the car. They knew how to sell it, but nothing else. I had to go to PriusChat for any sort of reliable information.

I phoned roadside assistance when my Model 3 lost 80% of its charge during a week of being parked in the sun. They took great care of me. Full five stars for customer service. But the explanation of the cause of the problem that I got from them was absolutely contradicted by the explanation I got later when I phoned the service department for further clarification. One or the other (or maybe both!) gave me categorically wrong information. Not intentionally. I do not believe for a moment that either of them was ill-intentioned or trying to get me off their back. They just didn't know how the car worked.

Plenty of people here on TMC also don't know how the car works, but we have much better resources on here than whoever happens to answer the help line at Tesla.

I received notification about V9, but I was out of town and unable to activate it. When I returned home two weeks later, the usual upgrade screen was missing. How can I initiate downloading of V(?

You don't. Just wait around, the car should eventually download it (or whatever is current at the time) again. It's possible that whatever version your car downloaded (causing you to get the notification) got pulled for some reason.

Bruce.