Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to update to v9 but no wifi in my parking garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually I was referring to dozens of examples of Tesla employees giving incorrect information rather than saying “I don’t know”.

I don't know any customer service rep for any company will say the words "I don't know." Because if they don't know, they are on the hook to find you the next level tech (level 2, 3...) who knows. In the case of Telsa customer support, I don't think they have such a thing setup. So in order to get you off their back, they made up a story or ask the person next to them...

Just checking ...I haven’t yet received an update notification. I’m assuming this is because they aren’t pushing this update out to all cars simultaneously, correct? I haven’t seen any info on how long the rollout is expected to take to complete, only that they started sending it out yesterday.

As of right now, TeslaFi is reporting ZERO reporting Model 3's with what appears to be the general release (39.6). 272 Model S & X have (12.8% of the reporting fleet) have installed it so far.

Having said that, it does appear to be rolling out pretty quickly. Earlier this morning there were only about 20 S & X that had it.

As of right now, TeslaFi is reporting ZERO reporting Model 3's with what appears to be the general release (39.6). 272 Model S & X have (12.8% of the reporting fleet) have installed it so far.

Having said that, it does appear to be rolling out pretty quickly. Earlier this morning there were only about 20 S & X that had it.

All 12.8% is from today so the S/X rollout has been quick. There is no pattern or rhyme or reason how Tesla did their roll outs - and not everyone gets every update.

For one like this, I am hoping everyone gets the first update. There may be a bug affecting the M3 only which is why none have gotten 39.6 yet or we are just second class citizens (but still above the Europeans :) )

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
Wifi isn't required now either. You may just get the update earlier if you have Wifi.

According to some of the "hackers" who have rooted their cars, the process basically works like this: Tesla sends a push notification to the car with an update instruction. This instruction includes parameters that allow them to specify a download policy. A common policy for firmware updates is "download the firmware if either the car is connected to Wifi, or it's connected to LTE and it has been XXX hours since receiving this notification", i.e. the car will try to download via Wifi if possible but will eventually download via LTE otherwise (which is a way for Tesla to reduce cost while still ensuring that all cars get the update).
That makes sense, thanks.

Will Tesla (at least in some situations) download the update before the installation time set by the user ?

Will Tesla (at least in some situations) download the update before the installation time set by the user ?
I have received two updates since getting my car, and in both cases the update was already downloaded hours before I got the prompt that allowed me to set the installation time (I monitor my car's Wifi usage via bandwidthd on my pfsense router). I think the car always downloads and stages the update before you can set the installation time.

I have received two updates since getting my car, and in both cases the update was already downloaded hours before I got the prompt that allowed me to set the installation time (I monitor my car's Wifi usage via bandwidthd on my pfsense router). I think you only ever get that prompt after the car is done downloading and staging the update.
That does not square with my experience of needing to have a decent wi-fi connection to successfully install and update.

I’ll repeat— Tesla ALWAYS downloads the update before the dialogue box even pops up. When you get the dialog box the update has finished downloading and is ready to install. This has been confirmed by multiple owners in this thread and by multiple owners in previous threads on this topic.

That makes sense, thanks.

Yes, in 100% of all situations Tesla will download the update before the installation time set by the user, because the installation prompt will NEVER occur before the download is complete.

Your past experience about having to have a decent WiFi connection is not really relevant to whether the download happens before or after. If you had a crappy WiFi connection and the update failed because of a corrupted download file (or one of several other possibilities) and you provided a better connection and retried with success is not proof of the download being done after you click the install button.

In fact, I'll bet a pizza that if you scheduled your update for a time and then before that time you drove to a place out of LTE and WiFi range, that the update will proceed just fine.

In fact, I pretty much did this when I upgraded to 34.1. I got the update notice in the morning, but there was not enough time to do the update before I had to leave for work. So I went to work and did the update when I got there. Now I was not out of LTE range, but it was definitely not connected to WiFi at work.

Reactions: Need
I’ll repeat— Tesla ALWAYS downloads the update before the dialogue box even pops up. When you get the dialog box the update has finished downloading and is ready to install. This has been confirmed by multiple owners in this thread and by multiple owners in previous threads on this topic.

I don't know why you're being disagreed with, but this is absolutely the way updates work. The update is fully downloaded and verified, the installation does not need any sort of network connectivity.

Note that the mothership can remotely retract an update any time until you install it, so if you have network connectivity you can get a pending update that's remotely pulled.

Reactions: GSP
Tesla will download the update before the installation time set by the user, because the installation prompt will NEVER occur before the download is complete.
That contradicts my experience:

I received the prompt, and scheduled an installation for midnight.
The installation failed;
I tried a few days later on LTE: another installation failure.
I'm told by Tesla it was because of an inadequate Wi-Fi connection
A subsequent installation was successful when I improved the Wi-Fi connection.

Which leaves the same question: if the car had the firmware, why was Wi-Fi required instead of just using LTE ? The only possibility I can think of is a corrupted download, but that would presume that the car was unaware of the corruption during the download. Aren't we way past that possibility ?

The installation failed;

Which leaves the same question: if the car had the firmware, why was Wi-Fi required instead of just using LTE ?

There are tons of cases of people having multiple installation failures. And the reasons for the failures are many, including corrupted files or some other hardware failure during the update that requires it to be attempted again.

For sure your improved WiFi connection probably improved the situation, or maybe it just happened to be successful on the third try, but it doesn't change the fact that the software was downloaded BEFORE the you got the prompt and hit "Install". There really isn't a contradiction if you accept the fact that the update could have failed for any number of reasons, not just because the car couldn't contact Tesla to download the software after you hit Install.

My experience, on the other hand, would have been 100% impossible if WiFi was required, because I can assure you, my car was not connected to WiFi after I hit install, and yet the install worked just fine.

The installation failed;

Which leaves the same question: if the car had the firmware, why was Wi-Fi required instead of just using LTE ? The only possibility I can think of is a corrupted download, but that would presume that the car was unaware of the corruption during the download. Aren't we way past that possibility ?

A corrupted download or maybe a failure to contact the mother ship before or after the installation. Because you could let the download sits there for a few days or weeks before you install it, the installation probably need to contact the mother ship right before it starts installation. And it that contact fails, it probably will fail the install. Or it may have to contact server after the install to upload some vehicle stats over to make sure everything is on the up and up. And if that contact fails, install also fails. Just my guesses.

or maybe a failure to contact the mother ship before or after the installation. Because you could let the download sits there for a few days or weeks before you install it, the installation probably need to contact the mother ship right before it starts installation. And it that contact fails, it probably will fail the install. Or it may have to contact server after the install to upload some vehicle stats over to make sure everything is on the up and up. And if that contact fails, install also fails. Just my guesses.
Sure, but LTE should be good for that.

The installation failed;
Correlation does not equal causation. And I think we’ve established that being told something by a Tesla rep is irrelevant. There’s not great correlation between what Tesla reps say and reality. Search for the “stupid things Tesla reps say” thread we used to have going.

Wonder if you can download the update using Starbucks wifi lol

This has been discussed multiple times. The problem with public wifi - basically all of them require acceptance of terms and conditions, which requires a browser interface, which requires V9...catch 22.

One solution I tried today was go park near a Tesla service center or store. I was about half a block away and signal was good. The Tesla Service network password was already stored. You can also connect to the Tesla guest wifi. So it worked but sadly the update didn't get pushed during the one hour I was there.