Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warming the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At home my central heating uses tado° Smart Thermostat - Time for intelligent heating! to maintain whatever temperature I want at any intervals.

Using long/lat of my house it knows (roughly) the outdoor temperature and it learns how fast my house heats up.
eg
I want 21C at 7am and its currently 10C then the heating comes on at 6.20am - toasty

So, I leave home at 07h40 can I set the car to be 21C for me getting in?

I know 1st world problem but it would be handy especially when -10C etc etc etc

Scheduled departure should do this already. Its in the charging tab. I know it currently some have a few issues with it, but hopefully it will get better with a software update. You could also set it via the app before getting ready to leave.

Scheduled departure should do this already. Its in the charging tab. I know it currently some have a few issues with it, but hopefully it will get better with a software update. You could also set it via the app before getting ready to leave.
somebody once suggested that departure should be tied to your calendar appts, although this could get tricky if you're not ready to leave and/or the car would just sit there "wasting battery" until you do actually leave.

i don't mind opening the app to get the car warmed up before i go, but it can be a bit cumbersome to get it to connect, set the climate, etc. plus, to OP's point, it's a bit of a crap shoot how much time you actually need. the cabin might be nice and warm, but the battery is still in frozen mode.

somebody once suggested that departure should be tied to your calendar appts, although this could get tricky if you're not ready to leave and/or the car would just sit there "wasting battery" until you do actually leave.

i don't mind opening the app to get the car warmed up before i go, but it can be a bit cumbersome to get it to connect, set the climate, etc. plus, to OP's point, it's a bit of a crap shoot how much time you actually need. the cabin might be nice and warm, but the battery is still in frozen mode.

I think that was the idea behind scheduled departure. It you have it plugged in, it would not be "wasting battery", but it would be taking power from the wall. I am not sure how long the climate control stays on if you decide not to leave right away. The app connects for me in a second or two, and just another second to press Turn on climate. Scheduled departure is supposed to finish charging right before you leave so you have a warm battery and maximum regen.