Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning to those with Garages and lifting the hatch!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to warn everyone, the hatch due to its length and size actually extends pretty high into the sky, ESPECIALLY if you have the spoiler, that adds like 2". I had a 2017 Honda CRV before this and I could have the hatch lift and still walk under it and I am 6'2" while my car was in the garage and the garage door was open above the car. With the Model Y its pretty bad, luckily the spoiler didn't hit the garage door while it was first opened, but it was damn close, like 1/2"! Be very very careful the first time you open it with your garage door open, especially as garage doors usually have hinges and handles etc on the back side that are exposed when its in the open position. Make sure you set your hatch height correctly so no matter where the car is, it won't hit anything. When I did that I really have to duck to get under the hatch unfortunately, was really hoping it would be more like my CR-V where I could fit under it while its open :(

Here are some measurements for you all. I have what I would consider a normal garage door, modern house, built 10 years ago, so nothing super unique.

Distance from ground to lowest point on garage door when in open position, 7' 2"
Distance I had to set the hatch too from the ground to the bottom of the latch on the hatch, 5' 5" (give about 1-2" of clearance from spoiler to lowest point on garage door when its opened).

So I would have needed another 9" in order not to hit my head (again I am 6'2"). Not fun and have already hit my head a few times :( Because of that I have done this, see below... might have to add even more foam tape along the length of the inside panel.
IMG_20200414_101425_MP.jpg

Good thing my garage has a 12 foot ceiling.

Oh my ceilings are high too, probably 12 feet as well.. but the garage door itself is only around 7 feet high, so when it rolls up to the top in the open state, its only that 7'2".. unfortunately my garage isn't 2 car lengths long so when I pull it in, its under the garage door itself. So can't take advantage of the ceiling height :(

Oh my ceilings are high too, probably 12 feet as well.. but the garage door itself is only around 7 feet high, so when it rolls up to the top in the open state, its only that 7'2".. unfortunately my garage isn't 2 car lengths long so when I pull it in, its under the garage door itself. So can't take advantage of the ceiling height :(
You could back in and then open the hatch fully.

Reactions: ragedogg69
You could back in and then open the hatch fully.

Interestingly I’m not a fan of backing in. Especially in my garage where I have a steep drive that basically just drops into the garage. Going heads in you don’t get the best view of where you’re going. But there was another recent thread about how to park in a tight garage and the OP laid tape on the floor where the tires would be perfectly situated and backed into the garage using the reversing lines on the Tesla camera. Watching the videos and looking at the photos it would be a perfecting parking job each time. It should also make for easier unloading as your trunk is closers to the door into the house (depending) thus reducing the distance you’re carrying packages around the precious car.

Interestingly I’m not a fan of backing in. Especially in my garage where I have a steep drive that basically just drops into the garage. Going heads in you don’t get the best view of where you’re going. But there was another recent thread about how to park in a tight garage and the OP laid tape on the floor where the tires would be perfectly situated and backed into the garage using the reversing lines on the Tesla camera. Watching the videos and looking at the photos it would be a perfecting parking job each time. It should also make for easier unloading as your trunk is closers to the door into the house (depending) thus reducing the distance you’re carrying packages around the precious car.

Hmm not a bad idea, might have to look into the whole tape on the ground thing.