Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was assigned to DAMAGED car, was told a day before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if you guys have any tips for this?

I am excited to finally pick up my Tesla Model 3 LR RWD Blue with White Interior tomorrow.

I was called today and was told that the something from the roof fell and landed on the windshield and broke it, I need another car. I said fine, no problem I get acts of god happen.

I do some digging and I find out that the car was damaged not today, but a month ago and they forgot to take it from inventory.

Does Tesla ever offer any type of deals / discounts for this situation?

Or is this just the price to pay to deal with them?

They probably forgot about it and reassigned it to you.

Not sure what you expect them to do - they’ll reassign you a new car and then you’ll take delivery. Inspect the car carefully and DO NOT accept delivery unless you are happy with it.

I guess it never hurts to ask but I wouldn’t expect much but that’s me.

Reactions: Jedi2155
Not sure if you guys have any tips for this?

I am excited to finally pick up my Tesla Model 3 LR RWD Blue with White Interior tomorrow.

I was called today and was told that the something from the roof fell and landed on the windshield and broke it, I need another car. I said fine, no problem I get acts of god happen.

I do some digging and I find out that the car was damaged not today, but a month ago and they forgot to take it from inventory.

I've heard similar stories before. Tesla's distribution and delivery process is, shall we say, not as organized as it might be.

Does Tesla ever offer any type of deals / discounts for this situation?

Or is this just the price to pay to deal with them?

If you're asking if you'll get a discount for being assigned to another car after you were given an initial VIN, chances are Tesla won't do much for you, although I've not heard much either way for such situations.

Tesla does, however, offer discounts, often couched as free upgrades on paint or wheel options, if you order one car configuration but they have trouble delivering it quickly and so offer something else instead. For instance, if they told you that it'll be another month before you can get the blue/white configuration you ordered, but there's a white/white available tomorrow, they might offer you the white/white for the cost of the blue/white, despite the fact that the white/white is $500 more.

I don't know if they'd offer a discount on the original car, if you wanted to wait for it to be repaired.