Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was wondering if this would be considered a stress crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone from New Jersey

First post just got the car a few days ago and I am in love with it. 2021 Model 3 Standard Pluss

My car has only 80 miles and after washing it for the first time I noticed this in the front windshield next to wiper blades in the center. I have an appointment next week to get fixed in South Jersey. Talking to the service department via the app they said stress crack are very rare. What do you guys think will it be covered under warranty?

TIA

Attachments

• PXL_20220304_203148514.jpg
    PXL_20220304_203148514.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 562
  • PXL_20220304_185625563.jpg
    PXL_20220304_185625563.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 929
My rear glass got a similar looking crack, near as I can judge from your photo, which was deemed a stress fracture and replaced under warranty. Took almost four months to get the glass in though. Mind you, if there's any sign of external impact they might decide otherwise.

Tesla service recently put a crack in my windscreen which started at the bottom edge but now curves through the black glued area, like in your photo. Will be replaced free of charge of course but even a windscreen apparently takes more than four weeks to get, for Tesla. I don't understand how you don't have a stock of regular replacement items like windscreens...

Good luck.

My rear glass got a similar looking crack, near as I can judge from your photo, which was deemed a stress fracture and replaced under warranty. Took almost four months to get the glass in though. Mind you, if there's any sign of external impact they might decide otherwise.

Tesla service recently put a crack in my windscreen which started at the bottom edge but now curves through the black glued area, like in your photo. Will be replaced free of charge of course but even a windscreen apparently takes more than four weeks to get, for Tesla. I don't understand how you don't have a stock of regular replacement items like windscreens...

Good luck.
Really appreciate your reply gives me a sign of hope that it will be covered! :)

My experience has been that for cracks where there is no indication of an impact - they will cover as a warrantee item. I’ve had two such incidents. Was very simple and they were quick to take care of it. Let us know how it goes!

Glad to hear it was treated as a warranty item. Unfortunately on the weekend I saw that the roof glass on my 3 has a crack. Above the driver's head, about 25cm in, from the front edge. Dang! No idea how except possibly the little metal hook of the roof-rack strap might have fallen on it - however, I struggle to comprehend how a few grams worth of metal, falling from no more than a very small height, could possibly crack a car glass (which is surprisingly strong, always seems to me).

Ugh.

Reactions: RGELSI
My experience has been that for cracks where there is no indication of an impact - they will cover as a warrantee item. I’ve had two such incidents. Was very simple and they were quick to take care of it. Let us know how it goes!

I just had a cracked top glass window replaced, and despite having no obvious signs of impact they insisted it was a rock chip crack. I have a post here asking for advice around that incident, but it's not safe to assume they'll always do the right thing.

Reactions: biscottigelato