Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Watch out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the pin AFAIK adding the pin and then TouchID significantly reduced iPhone theft. If we all do start using the PIN - this could do the same for Tesla's cred for being harder to steal. Of course, it won't deter a truly determined thief, but it still a damned sight better that what most cars have.

I do have a couple of more valuable cars, and the best they have is a tracker required by insurance - which is far easier to get around. Would love to have PIN to drive on those.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Note: the new PIN entry option in 32.4 will stop the car being driven without the code
it will NOT prevent entry to the car.

Hopefulyl the deterrent factor will be sufficient to send thieves elsewhere, however you should also consider that said thieves will be sat in your driver's seat only to be presented with a PIN login. It would be nice to think they will just leave without a fuss, but one thump of frustration on the screen is going to leave you a hefty bill. Just consider this prior to relying on PIN entry security.

It is also far from inconceivable albeit maybe less likely that thieves can monitor you with zoom cameras/binoculars etc for the PIN code, so exercise some care when entering the pin too. Remember this is worth £10Ks to the thieves so they may not give up so easily.

I have said elsewhere that I am not a fan of a 1990s pin code kludge to defeat these thefts, however I do accept it is better than nothing.
Hopefully Tesla will come up with something smarter still in future.
Well, just turn off your passive entry then.

I think the PIN is a good idea when out and about i.e. when you want to use passive entry for convenience. Obviously doesn't stop them getting in the car, but will stop them driving away. Should be good in those distraction type scenarios too, where they lure you out of the car to look at something and then their mate nips in and drives off.

But at night at home I prefer passive entry disabled. To be honest if they get as far as sitting in the drivers seat while we're asleep I'd rather they take the car rather than the possibility of them coming inside to ask nicely for a PIN.

Hopefully most pro car thieves will increasingly see Teslas as a PITA and target easier options. PIN is yet another barrier they now have to consider.

I have speculated before that Tesla could use geo-fencing and a timer to recognise the dcar is at home and auto disable PE until say until the following morning; could work elsewhere too where you just set a PE disable timer on leaving the car.
There are options with the phone and bluetooth too, but reliability of this method has to be considered as it won't go down well if you cant get into your car at all. Tesla undoubtedly taking note of M£ owner grumbles.
A further thing Tesla can consider is if the car is parked and happily pinging HQ, but then mysteriously stops (as the first thing these thieves do is to jam the signal from the car) an optional notification could be sent to the phone "lost contact"; issues to consider with reception with this and false alarms, option to set wifi and/or mobile could help.
In amongst these is a solution that is far better than 1990's PIN technology, albeit I agree that any step to increase security is preferable than none. A relevant point is that if Teslas become more of a pain then other brands will suffer more.

A relevant point is that if Teslas become more of a pain then other brands will suffer more.

If I was a car thief I would already consider Tesla a PITA to steal compared to everything else in its class. You never know whether PE will be even switched on and now whether or not PIN will be activated. Things you wouldn't have to consider when stealing any other car.

I do agree PIN is a quick fix rather than a long term solution. I like your idea of geo-fencing and time restricting PE. I've got to the stage now where I can't be bothered to switch it off every night and then back on again in the morning. Would be so much nicer if PE could be set on a simple timer e.g. switch off automatically at midnight and back on at 7 am while at home would be perfect for me.

As for PIN, I'm getting a bit fed up off punching it in every single time I go into Park. It would be better if it only required a PIN after stopping for a user-defined time or again in geo-fenced locations. I'd set mine to say 30 mins, so I wouldn't have to keep entering it after every single quick stop.

Because car came back from service with passive Entry turned off it encouraged me to try PIN. Actually finding that no hassle at all (but I did choose a pin that has an easy "route around number pad"

Actually I had a real struggle to turn PE back on. No idea why. Every time I tried it was greyed-out, and then i got lucky. At that time I was on WiFi so maybe "parked", without WiFi, is not enough?

I'm getting a bit fed up off punching it in every single time I go into Park

Can't say I've had that problem. Dunno how quickly a thief would be using key-spoofing to gain entry, but I would think it might be immediately you vacate the car. I've selected PARK / DRIVE without having to put the code back in, so maybe it is reset by opening driver door?

I would also want a hostage code; type that in and have everything behave as normal but alert authorities or put car into limp mode or somesuch; like a panic-button on a house alarm ... we used to have a hostage-code, back in the days when codes where the thing, but now everything uses fobs. I don't get it, we have umpteen fobs lying around the house for various family members and guests etc., if you want to rob my house just break in and find a fob, the security folk are going to see someone come in, go to another room, trigger the alarm, find a fob and turn it off. Which is exactly what I do when I set it off by mistake, and that never causes them to escalate anything ...

Car was serviced recently and it came back with Passive Entry Turned off. Dunno if that is to stop the car being nicked when there, or whether a general "Another Dumb Owners Who Hadn't Done This" :rolleyes: type mandate

Wifee doesn't like that it won't open without her getting the key out of her bag ...
Leave passive entry and just use the new PIN-to-drive function.
I did it for a few days and it's not much hassle. At least, way less hassle than fumbling for the fob.

Good afternoon,

As you may be aware, there has been a recent speight of high-profile Tesla thefts around the London, Essex and Kent areas, and we therefore wanted to reassure you that we take the security and safeguard of our clients’ vehicles extremely seriously.

For those of you that are members of the various forums and owners groups, you will no doubt have seen and heard lots of talk and communication on this matter, along with updates and advice on the best preventative measures to apply.

Through our contacts within the forums, and via Tesla themselves, we've been advised that the Police are still looking for a common link between the UK stolen vehicles, however, whilst their investigations continue we urge all owners to consider the following:

1. Turn OFF passive entry mode in your vehicle (so the car requires you to unlock with a key press only)
Ø To do this go to Controls > Settings > Doors & Locks > Passive Entry Off (if it's greyed out unplug the car and put your foot on the brake)

1. Should you wish to continue to use passive entry mode, place your key in an RFID blocking bag / a Faraday Signal Blocking Cage or simply a metal box (E.g. a metal spectacles box, an Altoids tin or similar) when not in use to prevent relay key attacks.
  2. Don't leave keys on display or within reach of your letterbox.

It is also important to recognise and acknowledge that these incidents are still minimal, and whilst the above list is not exhaustive our view is that you can never have too much security.

Tesla are taking these security concerns very seriously and we’re expecting further, re-assuring and encouraging news shortly. In the meantime, please ensure that you have the latest software update installed.

Best regards

Novo

Just FYI the firmware update going out this week (2018.34.1) moves the Passive Entry setting to, I think, the Security tab. I had an update last night, saw it in the old place before and then it disappeared after only to be found in the other tab. You need to have the key on you and the car started to change Passive Entry. I had to unplug the car too.

The new firmware also introduces the PIN to drive feature so even if someone does clone your fob, they can't drive the car without entering the PIN.

Leave passive entry and just use the new PIN-to-drive function.

Thanks I had already done that, but it took me a while to figure out how to change PassiveEntry to ON because it was greyed out. I'm not sure how I managed it in the end, perhaps the trick was that I was at home and therefore on WiFi. Other times I was stopped, and in Park (and with the key present) ... but it might just have been me being thick!

I did it for a few days and it's not much hassle.

I agree, I don't find entering the CODE annoying (so far), and if it makes the car harder to steal that's good.

Don't ignore the fact that there was two components to the announcement. The first and easiest was Pin 2 Drive, but that doesn't prevent entry. But there was also an announcement around replacement key fob which increases the length of the encryption key. It's this bit that stops the fob cloning, and therefore access to the car without the "proper" key fob. I don't know when these new fobs will be available and what the cost will be, but for maximum security, you would need both.

Thanks I had already done that, but it took me a while to figure out how to change PassiveEntry to ON because it was greyed out. I'm not sure how I managed it in the end, perhaps the trick was that I was at home and therefore on WiFi. Other times I was stopped, and in Park (and with the key present) ... but it might just have been me being thick!

I agree, I don't find entering the CODE annoying (so far), and if it makes the car harder to steal that's good.
Yes, the PIN is surprisingly convenient. I thought it would be a nuisance but it's actually no problem at all.

The main thing is "herd immunity". Once enough people start using PINs, the thieves will stop targeting Teslas completely, because it's a lot of risk for them with uncertain results.

The options ungrays when the car is "running". For security reasons Tesla wants you to have the key on you and proof the car will start with the key present when you change the setting.