Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water collecting in Model 3 trunk lid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:(I washed my Model 3 today. After washing, I raised the truck lid and heard water sloshing inside the trunk lid as I raised and lowered it. When fully raised, I noticed water dripping from the pointed bottom edges on each side, as well as water dripping from the black plastic interior trunk cover? No water inside the trunk. Anyone else noticed this? Please check and verify on your next wash to see if this is a common issue.

20200907_112406.jpg 20200907_112428.jpg

Yep and to add to that what happens for me is when you open the trunk the water runs down the wiring harness in your picture and that spills directly in the trunk. I never figured out how the water was getting in.
Fwiw my trunk looks aligned perfectly but when i climbed in it and closed it you can see daylight where it doesnt contact the seal but I only have water issues after a windy rain or driving in the rain and cant reproduce it with a hose so they cant fix it.
I ended up pulling a small rubber stopper/bumper off the bottom of the lid to let the water drain and reduces the problem significantly

Reactions: --1--
I have the exact same issue. The water builds up in the trunk lid after a long period of rain and leaks out from the left edge of the trunk when opened. Also, when I first open it, the water leaks from the right side directly into the trunk where the trunk bracket assembly is located. I scheduled a service appointment on Sept 18 so I'll keep you guys posted.

I have the exact same issue. The water builds up in the trunk lid after a long period of rain and leaks out from the left edge of the trunk when opened. Also, when I first open it, the water leaks from the right side directly into the trunk where the trunk bracket assembly is located. I scheduled a service appointment on Sept 18 so I'll keep you guys posted.
Fwiw i thought it was the hinge at first and they tried to seal it before i figure out it was running down thru the loom when you open the trunk.

• Informative
Reactions: BKool
Ditto...same as BKool & Idkorcare, after rainstorms on the East coast water accumulating/sloshing around inside trunk lid. My car is at local Tesla service now; since yesterday. Just finished up second phone call with rep stating can't replicate issue. Told him, frankly not my problem. Need to figure out better test scenario(s) to figure out root cause, perhaps factory welding origination. Ended by informing not picking up my car until root cause is found and corrected. So, have Model S loaner thru weekend. So annoyed!! Tesla is fully aware this IS a known issue. But instead, of falling on sword and replacing entire trunk lid, trying to have customer jump thru hoops like a circus animal. FTS!

I've never noticed it before (Aug 2018 Model 3), but just had this happen to me on a road trip, and it wasn't particularly rainy either.

Edit: I just went to double check, and I no longer hear the sloshing in my trunk lid. I'm not sure what is different, but when I heard the sloshing this week I happened to be parked on a slope with the right hand side of the car higher than the left. Also possibly the front slightly higher than the rear of the car. So maybe it has something to do with getting water on it when it is not sitting flat? I also drove 4 hours home, so maybe driving gave it time to drain? (although it was raining really hard for a good portion of the drive)

Last edited:
Was searching for this issue and found this thread.. I have the same problem. I suspect there's a porous area of the lip section near the windshield that's allowing water in, it just accumulates in the lower area of the lid. It did this to me after driving to work in the rain.

Add me to this list. Drove in heavy rain yesterday and when I got in this morning I opened the trunk and could hear water sloshing inside the trunk lid. Had this happen last year, but it dried out and didn't come back. This time I got a video of pulling the wiring grommet with the trunk open and water pouring out. Have a service appointment scheduled for next week.

Drove 3 hours home in some pretty heavy rain and also heard water sloshing in the trunk lid when i opened it. Noticed some water dripping inside the trunk near the LED light on one side as well. Is the trunk lid aluminum or should i be concerned about rusting from it sitting in there?

Drove 3 hours home in some pretty heavy rain and also heard water sloshing in the trunk lid when i opened it. Noticed some water dripping inside the trunk near the LED light on one side as well. Is the trunk lid aluminum or should i be concerned about rusting from it sitting in there?

The trunk is steel. I am concerned with rust and potential corrosion. Taking mine in next week to have Tesla take a look.

The trunk is steel. I am concerned with rust and potential corrosion. Taking mine in next week to have Tesla take a look.

wouldnt be concerned about the trunk, the real issue are imho tue rear wheel housing covers which always have a few mm gap at best and maybe 1cm at worst. so whenever you drive through water itll slash inside and coat the inside of the chassis. i hope tesla have good rust proofing...

No further details. As a technician myself. I'm guessing it was one of the areas either where the two pieces of metal are sealed together at the base of the rear windshield, or where a piece of trim snaps onto the lid, or the outer edge on the sides of the lid. You could look for water marks inside the lid closely with a small light, in some cases if you can get something powdery that won't make a mess inside an area like that and then water test it you may see trails.

I have had my model 3 in the shop for the exact same problem on several occations. They have tried different solutions, and also stated that this is normal (because of condensation)
I beg to differ as this happens during heavy rain. And one would think that condensation would be mentioned in the User Manual... Especially with the amount of water collecting inside the lid.
It's not like this is my first car. My two Audis didn't collect pintfulls of water. I have honestly never heard about this at all in other cars.

I brought my model 3 into the service center for 7th time last week after having continued leaking inside the trunk after rain as well. Each time they said they found a new leak(s) and sealed them but the next time it rained I still had water pouring in. Finally they decided closing over 10 different gaps with sealant was a poor fix and ordered me a new trunk lid and now waiting for it to be painted and installed sometime next week. This car was definitely made for sunny California.